Paste tomatoes

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this kind of production normal for San Marzano's? Cause if it is I'd be really interested in giving it a try.

^^ that's hilarious.

I had a look at 1 of my San Marzano's tonight. Hadn't had a really good look before today, as it seems to hide the fruit more than some of the others. Was pretty excited at what I saw.

About 6 of these clusters of fruit I'd guess at around 5 lbs each from top to bottom.
20190818-180551.jpg

I did both fertilize with 4-7-7 and used dolomitic lime to help with the end rot, and then a good dose of water. I was worried about the amount of nitrogen 80 plants would remove from the soil, couldn't hurt, I figured. Soon see. Should be ripe fruit in 2 weeks or less, some have yellow/orange already.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
When treated correctly, I’ve had great success with them. Plus they are an indeterminate-only kind I will plant.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee!!!!!
Went out this morning and found enough red Romas to can!!! I am thinking it will be about 4 quarts+. I blanched them, skinned them, and put them into the crock pot to get super hot, as I usually do, scrubbed up the sink, and put the canner on the stove. When the canner is boiling I will be able to can. I think I have enough Romas this year to give me at least 12 quarts, and I still have tomatoes from past years. I get greedy!! I want as Many jars available for cooking as possible. Tomato skins are back on the chicken menu, girls!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When treated correctly, I’ve had great success with them. Plus they are an indeterminate-only kind I will plant.
Seed, for some reason I can't seem to grow romas yet I can grow any other type of tomatoes. Romas produce very few and take forever to ripen for me. I usually plant a couple hybrids and the rest heirlooms. Fortunately with these tomatoes my salsa still comes out thick.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Romas or any determinate tomato is very suspect for me. Hybrid tomatoes are usually a good choice for cooler climates. Your shared recipe does give me a thicker, better salsa. Now, my go to recipe. Think a lot of it is due to water being cooked out on grill. Marzano would not need as long IMO. Maybe sweeter?

San Marzano are an indeterminate tomato. Have you tried them?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Romas or any determinate tomato is very suspect for me. Hybrid tomatoes are usually a good choice for cooler climates. Your shared recipe does give me a thicker, better salsa. Now, my go to recipe. Think a lot of it is due to water being cooked out on grill. Marzano would not need as long IMO. Maybe sweeter?

San Marzano are an indeterminate tomato. Have you tried them?
Yes, I tried them once cause everyone raved about them. Unfortunately there are too many pretty heirlooms to try and no more room for paste tomatoes.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is why there are so many different types as someone likes a certain variety. A lot of varieties get awards and rave reviews but for me, a total mistake. Why I’m down to Better Boys and San Marzano.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what is your favorite and why? For me San Marzano. Indeterminate and has flavor. Haven't found another one that fits those 2 qualities.
Cherokee Purple I love its dusky-rose colour while maintaining a somewhat greenish hue near the stem when mature for eating. The deep crimson interior and clear skin combination give it its distinctive colour. and taste... magnificent!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always like the meaty Amish Paste from Burpee. San marzanos are great too. We had a widespread blight a few years back and only the paste tomatoes survived.