Pecking Chickens

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a problem with one of my chickens (a welsummer) getting pecked. She has feathers missing from her back tail and on her wings. I've tried chicken saddles, pinless peepers, giving the chickens higher protein feed but nothing helps.

I've done a lot of research on BYC and none of the possible causes fits my situation. They have plenty of space and I constantly throw greens to keep them busy.

I've heard that some breeds do not peck as much as others. Which are those? I currently have 2 easter eggers, a barred rock, and a welsummer. A speckle sussex and mix swedish flower x red laced polish are pullets and currently separated from the other 4.

My poor welsummer looks horrible and this bothers me. My husband says not to worry that it is what they do but his advise doesn't help!

Any suggestions?

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This hen is at the bottom of the pecking order, so she will always be pecked by the rest of the hens. Some things to try are ... a red light in the hen house , since blood is red, the light is also red so this confuses the other hens . Metal Blinders on all hens, so that they can't see just infront of their beaks what they are pecking at. Cut the top beak about 1/4" shorter than the bottom beak on all of the hens. Good luck!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can separate her for a while it may help. Once a chicken starts getting pecked they will not stop until she is dead. Sometimes I think they do that when one is already weak.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm, the pinless peepers are plastic not metal and prevent the hens from seeing in front of them. They are on all of the hens. I've noticed that they still are able to peck with them on.

cat, I've thought of separating her in November when my pullets can be integrated and they free up the space they are in for her. At least she would be able to grow back her feathers.

What about any breeds that are not peckers?

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone has a different opinion on chickens! I started with RIR's and enjoyed having them- never had a pecking problem. I kept hearing how wonderful the buffs were, so I got a bunch. These are flightiest, dumbest chickens I have ever seen! They did not have a pecking problem- but I really don't enjoy having them. They go broody constantly! I think separating her out, is a very good idea. I believe the feathers will not grow back, until she has her next molt. Good luck!

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Spray the area with blue cote, that should help a bit. You could always try taking the most aggressive of the hens away for a few days then putting them back. Sometimes it changes the pecking order just enough to stop the picking. Good luck!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree that a seperation may help. Also, interjecting a few new hens may bond the original flock, but make sure you have at least a pair you introduce because it seems that the new hens are their own flock and you don't want a lonely chicken or another pecked one.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! My Welsummers are the peckiest of my hens. They peck me, the coop, other hens, the dog, the cats. When I got my Speckled Sussex's at 2 months old, the Wellies were the ones pulling out clumps of feathers from the Sussex's necks. She will probably be at the bottom of the pecking order forever, but seperating her might help. Do you give them scratch? When I hear my girls getting squaky and being testy with eachother I throw out some scratch.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I'm assuming you don't have a rooster and that you have seen the others pecking her. She's not going through a molt, is she? I'm not aftraid to ask a dumb question.

Without going into a rant, I don't have much faith in the differences in breeds. Each flock of any specific breed have their own traits and those can be quite a bit different than other flocks of the exact same breed. That's why different people have different opinions about the same breeds.

If she is getting pecked on like that, I'd give serious consideration to putting her with the two pullets and see what happens. It's possible they will get along then you'll have three to integrate together. That may make it easier for her to get back with the main flock. It's also possible that she will be a bully to the pullets. I've sometimes seen that when the hens at the bottom of the pecking order get a chance to bully other chickens. I still think it's worth a try.

If the feathers are totaly gone, they should come back before the molt. If the shaft is left behind, they won't grow back until she molts.

I also think that taking away the most aggressive for several days to knock her down in the pecking order is an option. It may not work, but then, it may.

Good luck!

Latest posts