Peppers for next year.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Late here, I had to find my notes. :rolleyes: ...
I have had some great years with Big Bertha and California Wonder, also had a few off years, mostly weather related I think. Jalapenos are always loaded and produce more than we can use... canning 30-50 pints and give many away.

I like to experiment with different varieties, last year was not a good year to evaluate due to 2 months of Spring rains but..
Flavorburst - produced very well, able to mature many on plant, if there was flavor there it escaped me.
Marconi - very slow to produce, but the peppers were large and we liked them. Will be trying again.
Bell Boy - Many peppers per plant, good flavor when picked green, few were able to mature to red on the plant, mostly because we used them green. Will try again hoping for better pepper weather. Lots of small fruit on the plants when frost hit.
Gypsy - Lots of peppers per plant, produced early, we liked them but will grow more bell peppers next year.

I grow from seed, last year was 12 weeks to planting, 3" pots. Mulching seems to help a lot, in my garden.

This year I will be growing Big Bertha, Bell Boy, California Wonder, Marconi, and some hots. I would also like to try California Wonder 300 if I can find the seed on the rack (forgot to order) and the kids want me to grow some Poblanos, new for me.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , how long do you harden-off your plants? I read somewhere that hardening-off for to long a period can cause bell pepper plants to grow slower after planting.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A week to 10 days. I do not know why that would be true. Perhaps that more reflects placing them in the garden too early when the soil os too cool. Peppers like it hot!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I do know if you put them out when the weather is too cold, they will be stunted and not produce well.
But now I am wondering if it's the soil temp or air temp that is more critical.
Does anyone warm the soil first with black plastic? Or use red plastic like for tomato plants? Or use tomato towers (water tubes) for peppers?

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it's too cold they just won't grow much till it warms up, but once it does they should grow at a normal rate again.

Something that helps is give them a ton of nitrogen early on to get good growth, but then stop when you see the first buds you want to keep (don't let a little 10" plant grow peppers yet or it'll use too much energy too early in the season) so you don't get blossom drop or blossom end rot on the pods from too high a N to calcium ratio, then a few weeks later give them more nitrogen at a lower level in a balanced fertilizer and plenty of calcium the whole time.

Seeds I just sprout in solo cups in a grow enclosure heated to ~85F during the daytime by the CFL lighting on a timer 16hrs-on/8-off. I harden them for about a week but no strict regimen, depends on the weather and my schedule.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers grew in my front yard the first year. Failed in the backyard last year, bugs ate them to nothing overnight! Very slow growing indoors this year, been almost 2mo and they are hardly 4in tall, 4-7 leaves.
=/
Peppers suck!!
Starting 10 more tomorrow.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peppers grew in my front yard the first year. Failed in the backyard last year, bugs ate them to nothing overnight! Very slow growing indoors this year, been almost 2mo and they are hardly 4in tall, 4-7 leaves.
=/
Peppers suck!!
Starting 10 more tomorrow.
Peppers are a slow grower but do well with lights and bottom heat.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pepper list for 2015

Thai Yellow Chili - Grew last year and loaded with peppers, but season not long enough to turn yellow.

Ancho/Poblano - Grew last year and did great.

Early Jalapeno - Grew last year and did great.

Chili Garden Salsa - Grew last year and have some seeds left. They were okay.

Cubanella - Grew last year and loved them and had tons.

Sweet Banana - Grew last year and had a ton.

Big Dipper - Grew last year and did okay and still have seeds.

California Wonder - Grew last year and did okay.

Horizon Bell Peppers - New for this year and ordered from Baker Creek.

Red Marconi - New this year and ordered from Baker Creek.

King of the North Bell - New this year and ordered from Baker Creek.

Keystone Giant Peppers - New this year and ordered from Trade Winds Fruit. Seeds were only $0.50 cents and free shipping if order over $15. I ordered around 3 this afternoon and by 7 I got an email they were shipped.

Early Sunsation - Bought 2 plants last year and did well and I liked the taste. I may order from Veseys.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pepper list for 2015

Thai Yellow Chili - Grew last year and loaded with peppers, but season not long enough to turn yellow.

Ancho/Poblano - Grew last year and did great.

Early Jalapeno - Grew last year and did great.

Chili Garden Salsa - Grew last year and have some seeds left. They were okay.

Cubanella - Grew last year and loved them and had tons.

Sweet Banana - Grew last year and had a ton.

Big Dipper - Grew last year and did okay and still have seeds.

California Wonder - Grew last year and did okay.

Horizon Bell Peppers - New for this year and ordered from Baker Creek.

Red Marconi - New this year and ordered from Baker Creek.

King of the North Bell - New this year and ordered from Baker Creek.

Keystone Giant Peppers - New this year and ordered from Trade Winds Fruit. Seeds were only $0.50 cents and free shipping if order over $15. I ordered around 3 this afternoon and by 7 I got an email they were shipped.

Early Sunsation - Bought 2 plants last year and did well and I liked the taste. I may order from Veseys.
Wow lots of choices.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two years ago most of my peppers died and I had to replant and it was a mess, so last year I started seeds at different times and I never saw peppers look so good. I planted peppers in the garden, in the herb garden, next to the potatoes, next to the raspberries, anywhere I could find dirt and I had 48 plants planted and gave away a lot.
1 peppers needing transplanting.jpg

Latest posts