Peppers, maybe a whole peck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Golden Greek, Golden Greek, remember Golden Greek ....

They look really nice, Collector! Do you have other pepper varieties? How do peppers usually do in your garden?? Productive?

Any of my peppers taller than 12" look pathetic. I have okay Thai Hot and Super Chili as usual. The jalapeno and Marconl as usual - pbbblllt! I think that wind exposure early has much to do with their problems growing. The peppers in the greenhouse bed went in late. Looking forward to seeing their continued growth but made the mistake again of committing all the sweet peppers to the open garden.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure how much a peck of peppers actually is but I picked this many Golden Greeks this morningView attachment 28042
Going to make peppercinnis however you spell it lol. We only have 6 Gg plants but we picked this many this time. This is the second picking the first one was half this much.

looking good there @Collector! :) i've no idea what that variety is like for heat. are they hotter than Jalapeno? pickled pepperoncini are yum.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure how much a peck of peppers actually is but I picked this many Golden Greeks this morningView attachment 28042
Going to make peppercinnis however you spell it lol. We only have 6 Gg plants but we picked this many this time. This is the second picking the first one was half this much.
I love that log sitting there. Is it for sitting on or just didn't have time to cut it up?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

I LOVE your use of this giant, straight log in your garden!!! I've never seen that before but it sure looks good and provides a separation, while also a place to sit or lay down tools and such. LOVE that. Your garden is beautiful, Collector. :love

That's a peck, so you are right. That's a 2 gal. bucket?

A peck is an imperial and United States customary unit of dry volume,[1] equivalent to 2 dry gallons or 8 dry quartsor 16 dry pints (9.09 (UK) or 8.81 (US) liters). Two pecks make a kenning (obsolete), and four pecks make a bushel. Although the peck is no longer widely used, some produce, such as apples, is still often sold by the peck. Despite being referenced in the well-known Peter Piper tongue twister, pickled peppers are so rarely sold by the peck[citation needed] that any association between pickled peppers and the peck unit of measurement is considered humorous in nature.

Found this pic while searching for the definition of a peck....can you imagine working in this????

r

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish i think this might be the fourth time we have grown golden Greek. I will say ,not sure if it the seed strain or not but these are the mildest GGs by far that we have grown. We like the flavor but there is no mild kick or zest to them this time. I think we will try another seed supplier next season.

Never thought about the weather being a factor for outdoor canning but it makes sense.we are just going to freeze them until they are all picked for the year and it has cooled off.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner i am not much into hot peppers anymore either. We do have some store bought hot pickled peppers in the fridge usually for seasoning certain dishes. These peppers are the mildest we have grown so far not Even a little in them. We are going to try a different seed supply next season, try to get the more zesty mild heat type we like. The last hot pepper that I picked and ate in the garden was a Serrano it burned me pretty good. It may have been just an extra hot one but it changed my mind about eating hot peppers. That was 2 years ago and not even growing any hot peppers besides cayenne this year.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS', yes we have 2 cayenne plants ,king of north bells ,mixed color mini bell, and we saved the seeds from some yellow and orange store bought bells. The best producers this year have been the Golden Greeks, followed by the seeds saved from the store. The store seeds have only produced purple peppers though.the king of north have no produced nearly as well as last years planting’s did. The mini carnival mix have been a complete flop so far/ won’t try them again. I picked the Golden Greeks bare and the plants are covered in blooms again already. Maybe should have picked them a week or so earlier than I did, may get another small crop from them we will see.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' posted a link to a Scoville chart a few years back that I like better than this, but I can't find it so this will do. I like that it shows a range of Scoville units per variety, not one hard and fast number. Supposedly that can be because of growing season (when they get rain, how much sunlight, who knows what) and maybe nutrients. I grew Anaheims one year and found there could be quite a bit if difference in heat from one pepper to the next and Anaheims are pretty mild.

http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm