Peppers, maybe a whole peck!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug these peppers are very mild heat if any . When pickled they are more like zesty than hot which is perfect on green salad, sandwich, or just eating right out of the jar.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed we are thinking of cutting it out of the garden this fall. I am thinking about using about 12’ of the butt end and cutting a flat top on it for a bench out in the garden. It will work great for that because there no pitch in it to get all over you when sitting down.
Wonder how that guy working chin deep in peppers keeps from absorbing all that capsicum oil and spontainesly combusting lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was absolutely painful to think about that picture. Looks like it might be just a kid out there!

No, I don't go too far into the hot pepper game. (And, I'm not the Uncle Steve on that webpage @Ridgerunner linked ;).)

I grew a peperoncini one year. Knew that the ones at the supermarket were pretty good :). Didn't know that they are wrinkled on the plant. Thought that was a result of the pickling. Anyway, whatever variety I grew did fairly well but was really hot. I already have peppers to dilute with other ingredients so as not to have burn! Had hoped that they would be about the heat of the ones in the soopermarket.

Collector, I grew Yum Yum mini bells one season. I thought that they okay and liked them. I believe that DW thought that their size was pretty ridiculous ... There are good and bad pepper years in my garden - very few good years. Right now I have a giant Thai Dragon in the greenhouse. Kitazawa says they are supposed to grow to 36" and, by golly, it has & more! Never, ever ... would it have grown like that in the open garden.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice chart..covers just about every pepper...

back in 2015 grew thai bangkok peppers 50k-100k still have a 1/3 of a quart jar left...hot but good flavor

for anaheim peppers 5k- 2.5k found that highlander has been very consistent in flavor and heat. great all around.

if anyone has a good mild pepper they please let us know theres always room for a experiment here...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice chart..covers just about every pepper...

back in 2015 grew thai bangkok peppers 50k-100k still have a 1/3 of a quart jar left...hot but good flavor

for anaheim peppers 5k- 2.5k found that highlander has been very consistent in flavor and heat. great all around.

if anyone has a good mild pepper they please let us know theres always room for a experiment here...
I like the s h i s h i t o pepper. They are mild but sometimes have a verty tiny kick to them. They produce by the buckets. We like to saute them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Squeeze with lemon juice.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug these peppers are very mild heat if any . When pickled they are more like zesty than hot which is perfect on green salad, sandwich, or just eating right out of the jar.

i've had some jalapenos be very hot and others very mild, i'm not sure if it was a variety difference or a difference in weather/growing conditions or not, but i can take some heat so it's ok. Mom won't touch any pepper any more other than baking some stuffed green peppers and tossing the pepper away when it's done.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have had stuffed bell pepper since a kid,they suck as a leftover... dw came up with a great way of doing them

same recipe, but dice up the bells and make a casserole out of it and add more cheese less tomato sauce...gone every time.

and if theres any left heat up and add a couple eggs for a omelet in the morning.......

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the s h i s h i t o pepper. They are mild but sometimes have a verty tiny kick to them. They produce by the buckets. We like to saute them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Squeeze with lemon juice.

Mary

We will try them also thanks

Latest posts