Perennial Shade Plant Suggestions Needed

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I KNOW that I said, "perennials", but...DD loves gladiolas, and ya know, they can come cheap in the Spring, and we're too cold to leave them in the ground. On the south outside of the fence I thought I might plant about a dozen of them, because they like to topple over. How would you attach them to the fence so that they stay upright and pretty?
When I last planted a bed of glads, I used 2 x 4 spaced fencing laid parallel to the ground and held up about 24 inches by posts at all four ends. The glads grew tall and straight. My bed was 4 feet wide so fencing 4 ft. tall was a perfect fit for the bed when laid over the posts.

You are actually borderline for overwintering gladiolas in the ground. I have had them come up after mild winters and you are probably warmer than I am. You might try covering their bed with a heavy mulch of straw or leaves and take the chance.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How about some gravel in the shade garden? Has anybody here every done that? DD's are uber big anime fans and might even rake it in circles. :p

I use a lot of gravel throughout the garden, in some places, like paths, it gets raked frequently in others not at all like the top part of our driveway, I'm encouraging the moss, here on the west coast it's and unending battle to get rid of so you might as well work with it LOL.
We used to park the boat here, when DH gave the boat to our SIL and before he tried to store something else here I planted a tree, gotta strike while the irons hot ;). On one side a fence covered in ivy, the other side our house.

DSCN6024.JPG DSCN6021.JPG
The old fence at the bottom is hopefully going to be replaced with a new gate and arch this spring or so my #2 son says :). Hopefully my honeysuckle will survive it's drastic pruning, it's in one corner the other side of the old gate, hoping to train it over the new arbor I've been promised.
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a beautiful garden @aftermidnight . Do you know the name of your pink rhodie? I'm looking for one that shade of pink as a replacement for a client. And is that a kiwi vine you've got growing?

I agree with Red about the honeysuckle. They can be cut to the ground as a rejuvenation pruning, so I bet it doesn't skip a beat.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom the pink rhodie is "Fantastica" not the best picture but taken a little closer up.
DSCN6025.JPG

@ninnymary yes it's "Actinidia kolomikta" we also have the female just the odd touch of color on it but it bears sweet grape sized fruit in the summer. A couple more pics of the male.
DSCN0726.JPG
A closeup
DSCN0777.JPG

Annette

Latest posts