Perennial Shade Plant Suggestions Needed

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , mine gets some morning sun and then most of it is shaded by the house for the rest of the day, maybe the tippy top on the fence gets a bit more (fence portion is on top of a cement retaining wall). I did have one leaf on our female get a white tip and then turn pink but they are very rare, at least here.
Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Annette, I've taken note and will hope it's available this spring locally. It looks like a good match for where it would be going.
I knew I had another picture, this one taken a dusk with a flash, shows how pretty it really is.
DSCN0671.JPG
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes! I like the contrast of the white interior of the bloom. So pretty.

The blooms on your Fantastica are colored a lot like the Kalmias that are on this property.
I need to replace a rhodie in a bed of other rhodies, they are Hachmanns Charmant, which I've only been able to locate as liners from growers. I need something in at least a 3 gallon size pot.
So I'll pass your rhodie name along to the owner and hopefully will be able to get one planted this year.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
what about growing hops as an sun shade....yes it's an annual but?

I love hops as a vine! Mine are the "Aurea", the golden green leaved variety and I have them growing on the dog run. Mine are in full sun, well, mostly full sun, they do get late afternoon shade as the sun tracks behind the trees on the south side.
Hops come in an annual type @majorcatfish ?
Mine are dormant and I cut them back to about 6" in the fall to clean the fence up. They come back like gangbusters in the summer and grow up into the trees behind the run. It took them a few years to get established though.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love hops as a vine! Mine are the "Aurea", the golden green leaved variety and I have them growing on the dog run. Mine are in full sun, well, mostly full sun, they do get late afternoon shade as the sun tracks behind the trees on the south side.
Hops come in an annual type @majorcatfish ?
Mine are dormant and I cut them back to about 6" in the fall to clean the fence up. They come back like gangbusters in the summer and grow up into the trees behind the run. It took them a few years to get established though.

been schooled on hops....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
been schooled on hops....

I thought maybe you had an annual variety...I just got all excited when you mentioned them. They really are a great vine, but one I don't think about often because they don't flower. They are also supposedly illegal to sell in Idaho, so you don't find them available very often. When you do you have to buy them up quick, then stash them in your trench coat until you get them home....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought maybe you had an annual variety...I just got all excited when you mentioned them. They really are a great vine, but one I don't think about often because they don't flower. They are also supposedly illegal to sell in Idaho, so you don't find them available very often. When you do you have to buy them up quick, then stash them in your trench coat until you get them home....

guess you have a choose of either producing vodka or timber....:lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Are the big rocks in the shade too? Use them as the focal point of a shady woodland theme spot. Fern, moss, columbine, jack-on-a-pulpit, Dutchman's breeches, etc...
The rocks are on the east side of the house, but in front of and to the side of the cement/brick front porch and steps, so a few of them would get full to partial shade. Great ideas!

Latest posts