Perennial Shade Plant Suggestions Needed

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another tie, Carol Dee. I've always wanted a tri-color beech. I guess I forget while I'm ordering each spring. There's no other reason for not having one. They are a beautiful, tree.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aftermidnight, credit goes to Thistle. She was the one that knew what that kiwi was.

I don't know anything about kiwis. Does the vine get very big? I LOVE those leaves! I'm going to look real closely at my yard to see if I have room. haha

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ninnymary , yes they can get quite big but mine has taken some severe pruning without harm. My main one is still growing on the fence intertwined with English ivy.

I was on a garden tour many years ago when I saw it for the first time. We entered this one particular garden, the front was a mass of candelabra primulas in full bloom, I must have stood there for a good 10 minutes just drinking it in, I heard my daughter calling to me, mom, mom, come quick, I grudgingly trudged along along the side of the house, stopping a couple of times to take a last look at the beautiful sight I had just seen.
Well, what can I say I was gob smacked, here almost covering the side of a two story house was this beautiful pink/white/green leaved vine, had no idea what it was and there was no-one there who could tell me :(. To top it all off turning around there was a little cottage on the back of the property covered in a climbing hydrangea, it was spellbinding.
On the way home we stopped in at Dinter's, my favorite nursery here on the island. "Mr. Dinter, (I explained this pink leafed vine to him) can you tell me what this vine is and can you get me one", he told me what it was and yes he would bring one in for me, he also brought the female version in for me too, of course I had to have one of those too once he told me about it and they had edible fruit. This was 25-30 years ago, my vine is old but still hanging in, I have taken many cutting from it to share with others and I have started another for myself hoping it will cover one of the lattice walls of my little garden room. One more thing, they do need some kind of support, they don't cling. The female vine took years before it produced fruit for us, when it finally did the birds beat us to it. For some reason they've been leaving the fruit alone these last few years so we finally get to eat it ourselves.
Annette

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh yes you need to keep kiwis pruned...don't ask
have only grown the Hayward variety<one ones you buy at the store> the hardy kiwi variety are smaller...
one thing i can say is the kiwi leaves has an off smell almost a rotting smell to them...
if interested in kiwis heres the history of them..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette, I've heard that they color best when they have more sun (the Kolomikta ) and also that the male vine tends to have the more colorful leaves.
Does your vine get much sun?

The only kiwi I have experience with is a clients and it's in shade nearly all day.
No color on the leaves ever, and I have no idea what variety, but obviously a hardy kiwi.

Last edited: