Persimmons - What to do with them?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
murphysranch, my parent has both types. Hachiya's are the ones that have too get mushy to eat right? Those are the ones I use for persimmon bread. The other squatty ones I like in salads. We will be going up the day after Thanksgiving. I'll see if I can get some Hachiya's for you. Will let you know.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Cal., my feed store guy planted 20 acres of persimmons . When he harvested the fruit in late fall, every year he gave me 2 grocery bags full sometimes more . We ate the softest fruit first and left the others to soften to eat later up to a month later. Just peal and eat. If there was several become real soft at the same time, my wife would make persimon bread, cookies. YUM !!! :drool

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did someone say cookies?!

Here's food dot com with a recipe for Persimmon Brownies
. I see persimmons paired with nuts, including simple desserts where the ripe fruit is just stuffed with nuts and chopped dry fruits.

And since we are all talking about cookies :D , I've been wondering where I could mention a pumpkin cookie recipe I came across and am looking forward to trying. I'll lower the spice levels. It doesn't have persimmons but it may be adaptable, with spices appropriate for that fruit. Pumpkin Latte Cookies.

Steve!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I place all the hard Hachiya persimmons stem side down on a tray in the garage. As they get so soft its hard to pick them up, I eat them YUM YUM YUM!!!!!
If they don't get soft and translucent, then they are very astringent.

I'll be in Saratoga for the holidays with Mother. But I'm right off of 4 and 49 if you really want to bother...Greenhorn Creek Golf Club development.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Persimmon and Sage Stuffing

... following this idea of Major's that nothing is too far out that someone hasn't tried it and been willing to blog it, I was surfing for a different t-day stuffing.

Family shot down my efforts years ago with sausage and with oysters. So, I just stay with the most simple stuffing recipe imaginable. I thought of trying apples but couldn't work up any real enthusiasm. An apple is an apple is an apple.

Then! I thought of bananas! Shoot ... just relax and remember to breathe. You don't want the paramedics to have to come in to treat you for a fit of laughter ...

No. There are "stuffed" chicken breasts with banana recipes ... well look, you might want to try it. Some folks say it's very good ...

Anyway, then I tried a search for persimmons in stuffing -- see above :).

Steve

Latest posts