Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did some cleaning work, recycled the old potted soil and mixed with chicken manure then filled into VP-2.

Re-arranged the settings in greenhouse for bringing back some plants from outside. Routine cleaning of gardening tools.

30508.jpg

I have many pruners and scissors, some of them are gifts. Here is the "garage" they stay after cleaning.

30507.jpg

Harvested some flowers for my working table. I am obessed with my first year cut flower garden, learned a lot this year, will absolutely plan further and improve for next growing seasons.
30510.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It keeps raining, not much to do outside.

Cut some flowers again, different Dahlias are waiting.
30681.jpg

30684.jpg

This red color one surprised me, the full blossom is so big!
30678.jpg

One of my 5 coffee corners in the house, it is here only during summer months, when the temperature in greenhouse is too high.

30679.jpg

Like a dream.
30687.jpg
30686.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First harvest of VP-1, which all seedlings are transplanted on August 3rd. As brassicas are much like salat greens, they can be harvested from outer leaves and the new ones will keep growing, also peas need to be pinched for generating more shoots.
30744.jpg

30746.jpg

Not bad at all, about 110g, nice amount for adding into a noodle soup, or fried rice.
30743.jpg

Also harvested some flowers to dry in the coming days - they will eventually become the value-added elements for chickens' winter feed.
30741.jpg

After drying, they become like this:
30750.jpg

I didn't have many Gladiolus (yet), but the early ones are already blossoming. I love this light green variety, with a little touch of pink on the edge of petals.
30748.jpg

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It keeps raining, not much to do outside.

Cut some flowers again, different Dahlias are waiting.
View attachment 43193
View attachment 43194

This red color one surprised me, the full blossom is so big!
View attachment 43195
One of my 5 coffee corners in the house, it is here only during summer months, when the temperature in greenhouse is too high.

View attachment 43196

Like a dream.
View attachment 43197View attachment 43198
Those lilies are STUNNING and your coffee corner looks so inviting.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year the lilies are quite successful. From the earliest "Casa Blanca" to the latest double oriental "Soft Music," they did bring us a lot of Wow moments. This "Stargazer" is so far the most robust variety, finally I still decided to cut some for the greenhouse table.

P8220019.JPG

P8220026.JPG

Also a smaller, lower-profile combination for my working table
P8220017.JPG

Still some water liles in the pond, i guess we can enjoy them for another couple of weeks.
P8220014.JPG

The growth in food tower No.5 (for hens)
P8220001.JPG

Always some treats for them~
P8220006.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your garden shed place for coffee looks very inviting to me, just as one of your others does to @Carol Dee . EDIT: Just noticed your sign, "Phaedra's Coffee Concerto, taste of home" :).

Years ago, I saw a picture of an older lady, setting her cup of tea down on a table in front of her garden shed window, where she could sit down to look out on her allotment garden. It was an image that helped convince me to become a community gardener for 6 years. I thought that if I could have a shed in the garden, I'd feel really close to heaven out there. It was never possible - the park department owned the land and, of course, wouldn't allow.

Years and years ago, when I was still in my 20's, I had something similar to that window. I was out in the forest in an owner-built home in a large clearing. Beyond one line of trees was my hay field. In the clearing was my garden. My kitchen table sat in front of a window that looked out on it. Sitting there, I felt that I had escaped from a world that wasn't at all to my liking, to a peaceful little place, under a big, open sky.

Steve

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your garden shed place for coffee looks very inviting to me, just as one of your others does to @Carol Dee . EDIT: Just noticed your sign, "Phaedra's Coffee Concerto, taste of home" :).

Years ago, I saw a picture of an older lady, setting her cup of tea down on a table in front of her garden shed window, where she could sit down to look out on her allotment garden. It was an image that helped convince me to become a community gardener for 6 years. I thought that if I could have a shed in the garden, I'd feel really close to heaven out there. It was never possible - the park department owned the land and, of course, wouldn't allow.

Years and years ago, when I was still in my 20's, I had something similar to that window. I was out in the forest in an owner-built home in a large clearing. Beyond one line of trees was my hay field. In the clearing was my garden. My kitchen table sat in front of a window that looked out on it. Sitting there, I felt that I had escaped from a world that wasn't at all to my liking, to a peaceful little place, under a big, open sky.

Steve
Thanks Steve, for sharing these calm and serene images.

This garden shed and the greenhouse are investments for creating the life I always dream of, as I came from a country where the space is so limited, balcony is the only place I can have some potted plants.

With family, coffee, books, music and plants (also chickens), I am already in the paradise everyday. :love

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't do much in the garden today, although the weather is lovely. Just collected some seeds from Jacob's ladders (Polemonium). They are nice filler plants for cut flower arrangement, and the vase life is also quite good.

31201.jpg

31202.jpg

Spent some time with the chickens and dogs, ooh, just two months time, where are my fluffy lovely chicks?
31172.jpg

Ahhh, give me my fluffy chicks back~~~
31184.jpg

Reminds me the song - Sunrise, Sunset

Is this the little girl I carried
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older
When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty
When did he grow to be so tall?
Wasn't it yesterday when they were small?

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

messageImage_1629812481577.jpg
31209.jpg

So, I spent most of my today in the kitchen :lol: and here are the outputs:

A toast loaf with poppyseed and walnut
31156.jpg

31195.jpg

Some cocoa and reisin buns with milky streusel filling
31211.jpg

31207.jpg