Phaedra's 2021 Garden

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far the vertical planter did quite well, as the flea beetles retreat, should be safe for those leafy greens.

30029_0.jpg

30010_0.jpg

Weather is super summer-like, but next week it will drop back to 18-20 degree C. So we washed two omlet coops, very quickly dried under afternoon sunlight.

30061.jpg

30127_0.jpg

Dozens of peacock butterflies on this butterfly bush, amazing.
This corner smells super charming now, butterfly bush on the top, and oriental lilies also start to blossom.
30125.jpg

Somehow it's a bit difficult to imagine will the fragrance be overwhelming when most of them blossom next week? :p
30053.jpg

And gave fruity ice bars to my chickens as summer treats, well, summer is leaving us....
30043.jpg

30042.jpg

The last thing today done in the garden, was to harvest some lilies for the kitchen.
30120.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Have some funs with the vertical planters in the chicken run. Compared with the one in my vegetable garden, those are for chickens to have additional fun and a way to forage without destroy everything.

They can eat, but can't scratch anything.

As those vertical planters are built with hardware cloth, "replenishing" plants is a bit challenging because the holes are not big enough for inserting seedlings. Direct sowing is a must. So, I tried to use syringes (no needle) and tiny seeds like red clover and alfalfa. It works quite well, although during the first trial, I am not good in controling the injection speed yet. Every shot there are too many seeds going into the tower and the germination looks somehow funny.

Clovers are very ideal foraging plants, I also love to use them in my bouquets.
30145.jpg

30143.jpg

My neighbors might think I am losing my mind if they see what I am doing in the garden :lol:
30142.jpg

Well, it's for fun anyway, i don't think my chickens will complain when they realize there are some "clusters" of microgreen. Few days later....
30139.jpg
30137.jpg
30138.jpg

Summer is leaving, and the daylight is shorter and shorter. Time to say goodnight now, see you in another new week.
30226.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Working on Vertical Planter V2

The outer structure will act as a support for the inner one, besides, there will be a small surface to plant horizontally and let water easily go into lower part.

30320.jpg

I still take this as a variation of raised bed, so it will be filled like I will do for a raised bed. The pipe is originally for water to reach inner and deeper areas, but I might use something else instead of this pipe.

So far the growth on V1 is not bad. Peas, spinach, brassicas are all growing normally.
30314.jpg

Our young cockerel also found the microgreens I mentioned yesterday and enjoys that.

The oriental lilies are really blossoming now.
30304.jpg

chopped chives are now on the greenhouse shelf for drying.
30278.jpg

Same for edible flowers, marigold, rose, cornflowers, monks cress, chamomile and some mints, they will become part of the winter feed of my chickens.
30267.jpg

30269.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in our gardens those towers would act like worm refuges during the hot and dry times and also when it flash floods. unfortunately Mom would have too many words about things not looking tidy enough for her.

also alas that those lilies and butterfly bushes are both so strongly scented that we can't work much around those until the wind shifts enough. sometimes human bodies get these funny ideas about what is and isn't good for them.

love the flowers! :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Working on Vertical Planter V2

The outer structure will act as a support for the inner one, besides, there will be a small surface to plant horizontally and let water easily go into lower part.

View attachment 43142
I still take this as a variation of raised bed, so it will be filled like I will do for a raised bed. The pipe is originally for water to reach inner and deeper areas, but I might use something else instead of this pipe.

So far the growth on V1 is not bad. Peas, spinach, brassicas are all growing normally.
View attachment 43137

Our young cockerel also found the microgreens I mentioned yesterday and enjoys that.

The oriental lilies are really blossoming now.
View attachment 43138

chopped chives are now on the greenhouse shelf for drying.
View attachment 43139

Same for edible flowers, marigold, rose, cornflowers, monks cress, chamomile and some mints, they will become part of the winter feed of my chickens.
View attachment 43140

View attachment 43141
Those Lilies :love

Latest posts