Phaedra's Garden 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another 2022 gardening experiment: planting in the carton.

Well, people use cartons for practicing no-dig since cartons can block weeds for a good while and then gradually decompose. I found one of suitable size (about 25Liter, I guess) and used it for potatoes. The bottom and the sides are strengthened by adding one more layer.

Ideally, as it only needs to serve for a few months, I hope it can hold well. After the harvest, it will directly go to the compost heap.
3679.jpg

Kind of a funny view, but why not give it a try?
3680.jpg

Young asparagus plants successfully germinated from seeds
635.jpg

Another small area of tulip blossom
634.jpg

At the same time, I started removing the flowers from the earliest tulips. This time, I will keep watering and feeding them until they naturally die back at the end of June or early July.

581.jpg

580.jpg

Hopefully, they will come back next spring. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Double-boxed potatoes - that might work.

Especially with an early variety or especially one you want for Creamed Peas & New Potatoes!

Well worth a try 🤞.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Keep working!
653.jpg

Young plants that were sent to the garden in Cologne.
654.jpg

I will use container gardening + bottomless planters in this garden. Okra, cucumbers, tomatoes, and other warmth-loving plants will be stationed here.
651.jpg

Today's progress
711.jpg

Already much better than the last Saturday!
712.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love what I've tried last year
896.jpg

3836_0.jpg

3852.jpg

The presentation of this vertical planter is in fact not too bad, but it absolutely can be further improved. Well, you have to try first and then know where and how to enhance. Now, I know how I will re-design the vertical planter later this year.
3838.jpg

I also love my grass shear, can't garden without it. So many manual tools that can always outperform the electric ones.
3854.jpg

Another example is this simple saw. After two different electric saws failed, it easily removed the bottom of the bigger plastic nursery pots.
3849_0.jpg

Lilacs are on the stage now, fragrant and elegant.
897.jpg

Berries are preparing their flowers, too.
889_0.jpg

It's also time to pinch herbs and annual flowers like zinnias for bushier plants.
894.jpg

Attachments

• 894.jpg
    894.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 59

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bottomless planter experiment

This is a much bigger pot, I guess; it is about 50 Liter. After removing the bottom, I cut some parts of a carton to act as a temporary bottom and also as a blocker of weeds in the beginning.

I added about 1/3 grass clippings and 2/3 soil. This one is for planting one young Lilac plant.
3845.jpg

3840_0.jpg

A similar method for another carton bed - also double-layered. This method should work for the vegetables that just grow inside for a few months.
3871.jpg

I planted some chili and herbs in this one. The three 10L pots in the front are also bottomless for planting Dahlias.
3842_0.jpg

Latest posts