Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
thank you, but i'm really embarrassed by that picture! lol especially compared to @Beekissed or @catjac1975 or @ninnymary or @Carol Dee or ... so many more here are much more colorful and well done compared to my chaos gardens.

can i abdicate in favor of catjack1975 pink double ruffled daylilly?
What I love about that pic is that it is REAL Gardens start of with chaos and work and more work and planning and did I mention work? And chaos… They're not all picture perfect! You should see my garden, you will:th trust me! If you really want to, I'll swap the pic for you, sure, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about IMO :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
thank you, but i'm really embarrassed by that picture! lol especially compared to @Beekissed or @catjac1975 or @ninnymary or @Carol Dee or ... so many more here are much more colorful and well done compared to my chaos gardens.

can i abdicate in favor of catjack1975 pink double ruffled daylilly?
No, you cannot abdicate! Your gardens are amazing and sooo large! Mine is so tiny that I have nowhere else to tend but in it's small space. So of course it's going to be tidy. It is also part of my business so it HAS to look good. Don't compare yours to others. It is fine just the way it is.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I love about that pic is that it is REAL Gardens start of with chaos and work and more work and planning and did I mention work? And chaos… They're not all picture perfect! You should see my garden, you will:th trust me! If you really want to, I'll swap the pic for you, sure, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about IMO :)

it's ok. i've put hundreds or perhaps even over a thousand hours into that space by now over the past 20yrs... almost all of enjoyable to me (or i'd be doing something else for sure :) )...

http://www.anthive.com/project/redpatch/

100_0876_Red_Patch_thm.jpg

this is mostly what it looks like now... i've hardly made any progress on it as i've been side-tracked by harvesting beans/tomatoes and some other projects...

p7280026_N_Garden_Weeding_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, you cannot abdicate! Your gardens are amazing and sooo large! Mine is so tiny that I have nowhere else to tend but in it's small space. So of course it's going to be tidy. It is also part of my business so it HAS to look good. Don't compare yours to others. It is fine just the way it is.

Mary

aww... well, like i've said, anytime you wanna come weed we've got plenty... :) except in the winter... :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
it's ok. i've put hundreds or perhaps even over a thousand hours into that space by now over the past 20yrs... almost all of enjoyable to me (or i'd be doing something else for sure :) )...

http://www.anthive.com/project/redpatch/

100_0876_Red_Patch_thm.jpg

this is mostly what it looks like now... i've hardly made any progress on it as i've been side-tracked by harvesting beans/tomatoes and some other projects...

p7280026_N_Garden_Weeding_thm.jpg
Wow! You are doing a lot better than me! I moved into a hot mess last year and after an enthusiastic start broke my wrist in a freak accident, had more snow than Ireland saw since the early '80s and then discovered a second shed… Which I of course HAD to dig out :confused:

https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/a-little-backyard-homestead-project.15332/
https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/restoring-rescuing-a-100-year-old-shed-am-i-nuts.15635/

If I stay here another 20 years I might catch up with you! lol Your garden looks gorgeous. That is what I have in mind, neat gravel paths and beds and flowers :love And that dang shed completed one day!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! You are doing a lot better than me! I moved into a hot mess last year and after an enthusiastic start broke my wrist in a freak accident, had more snow than Ireland saw since the early '80s and then discovered a second shed… Which I of course HAD to dig out :confused:

https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/a-little-backyard-homestead-project.15332/
https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/restoring-rescuing-a-100-year-old-shed-am-i-nuts.15635/

If I stay here another 20 years I might catch up with you! lol Your garden looks gorgeous. That is what I have in mind, neat gravel paths and beds and flowers :love And that dang shed completed one day!

i'm taking out hardscape/pathways any chance i get. i like having more flexibilty when gardening and i don't like wasting space on paths that need to be maintained, weeded, etc. every edge is work and gets in the way. combining gardens means i can change the spacing of plants or rotate crops within a space easier. also with the clay, every time i have to go out of a garden i have to change shoes so i'm not tracking mud around so the more work i do within one garden the better...

the old shed looks amazing with that moss and i love the old stacked stone fences like the one you have, but yes, those are work and there is a great degree of skill in it. however, that all said i have read some good works on how to do it (at one time i aspired to be a mason/stone work type of person) and it's possible to learn. :)

you've made a lot of progress. i hope you can get a new place of your own sooner rather than later...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
i'm taking out hardscape/pathways any chance i get. i like having more flexibilty when gardening and i don't like wasting space on paths that need to be maintained, weeded, etc. every edge is work and gets in the way. combining gardens means i can change the spacing of plants or rotate crops within a space easier. also with the clay, every time i have to go out of a garden i have to change shoes so i'm not tracking mud around so the more work i do within one garden the better...

the old shed looks amazing with that moss and i love the old stacked stone fences like the one you have, but yes, those are work and there is a great degree of skill in it. however, that all said i have read some good works on how to do it (at one time i aspired to be a mason/stone work type of person) and it's possible to learn. :)

you've made a lot of progress. i hope you can get a new place of your own sooner rather than later...
I want paths! I need them! From when I moved in I didn't see the backyard dry for 9 months. No joke. It rains VERY OFTEN here and that lovely black soil makes lovely black mud when it does.

The stone wall… my attempted repair to it lasted about a week lol The shed is less challenging… now… it just needs completing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want paths! I need them! From when I moved in I didn't see the backyard dry for 9 months. No joke. It rains VERY OFTEN here and that lovely black soil makes lovely black mud when it does.

The stone wall… my attempted repair to it lasted about a week lol The shed is less challenging… now… it just needs completing.

i envy good black soil and would cry if i had to cover it up. the clay here is light colored and to get the gardens soil improved means i've been bringing in any organic matter i can scrounge up. along with the worm composting it has greatly helped but with so many gardens i can't get them all improved as fast as i'd like.

to improve drainage in the clay i often dig down and then bury extra organic material so that the worms have a place to hide from the heat/cold and dry spells. the other reason i have to dig down sometimes is to get the stuff out of there that was put down before (in the pictures below i had to go down that deep to get the black plastic out that was used as the pathway material, it fell apart eventually). i always use such times as a good reason to put down ashes and organic materials to help out the clay soil crumble better.

underway project:

p4180038_Pathway_Removal_thm.jpg

done:

p4270012_Combined_Gardens_thm.jpg

gobs of cucumbers since:

p7180024_Gardens_thm.jpg

Latest posts