Pinks Gone

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smart Red, My Blue Pinks you sent me have gone all leggy. They did not reproduce much at all. Should I pinch off the tops? They haven't bloomed yet this year. They looked dry, and I watered, but they didn't perk up as much as I had hoped and went leggy. I think maybe they need more sun. Is it an okay time to transplant them? I'd like to wait until after they bloom?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pinks, another plant I really love, they have my favorite scent, in fact when I was younger the only perfume I would wear was Bellodgia, actually I preferred the toilet water not as heavy a scent but still a little dab will do you.
I only have a couple of pinks now the old heirloom 'Sops in Wine', 'Devon Yolande' also called 'Raspberry Surprise' and another the name escapes me at the moment. I used to have the old heirloom favorite both the pink and white versions of 'Mrs. Sinkins', strongly scented you would catch the fragrance as you walked by. The flowers have split calyxes but still the make lovely clumps to spill over a rock wall.

Not a great picture, I've moved it to a better location but here it is growing along the edge of a gravel path, the interloper is the ornamental strawberry 'Pink Lipstick' .

Hmmm, won't let me drag and drop from my desktop which is what I usually do, will try the Upload a file option. Boy is that sluggish too.
DSCN4253.JPG
Sops in Wine

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sooo pretty, and I love the names of these pretty pinks, aftermidnight. Smart Red, I finally dug up your pretty blue pinks and potted them up in full sun and cut off the legginess.. They are hanging on. Some new leaves are showing at the base of the plants. Fingers crossed that they will make it...

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Where would I buy "Bellodgia?" I've never heard of it before, and it sounds lovely!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Where would I buy "Bellodgia?" I've never heard of it before, and it sounds lovely!

Hard to find here in Canada if at all, the last time my hubby bought it for me he ordered it from somewhere in Los Vegas. I imagine any of the big department stores in the U.S. would carry it, It's by Caron, been around for a very long time. Try google, it will probably come up with some places where you can buy it. Hope this helps.

Some of the scents used in Bellodgia are... Carnation and rose; middle notes are jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and violet; base notes are musk, clove, vanilla and sandalwood.

Annette

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info, aftermidnight!