Planning an Herbal Tea Garden Any Suggestions?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Ann :coolsun Unforntuatly the cranberry has ran a bit so I will have to do some touch ups and sealing it with clear polyurathen (sp?) It is a sample of interior paint so I figured it would not last for as long as the exterior, but I thought it would last longer than 14 hours. But it will be an easy fix ;)

Oh I plan to paint my old bench the same Calm Air as I did the box.

:happy_flower Karan :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
you can grow a garden anywhere... .I saw someone grow an herb garden as shutters on an east facing window to help cut down on heat in their house. Talk about going green!!!

I think your garden is looking gorgeous Karen... herb garden for tea and all!

I wanted to say Target has all their patio and outdoor furniture 30% off.... I saw some cut folding chairs and tables that looked nice for an afternoon of tea!!! I was really thinking out a set to put here by the chicken coop where I would like a little patio myself! :)

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
davaroo said:
Oh, this is a cool thread! I wonder if you can grow a tea garden in a racing tire?
Hey Why Not???
Any thing you can contain your mints and herbs in. :clap :thumbsup

:happy_flower Karan :D
I kinda suspected as much; I was just joshing! I grow everything else in tires, so I treckon tea herbs will do as well.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Karanleaf :frow

I have just come across a very interesting blog which I think might fascinate you. You have to poke around a bit within it but this is an interesting page to start on:-

http://handmaidenkitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/lactic fermentation

How is the business going -- still getting a steady stream of customers on open-days I hope? :celebrate

:rose Hattie :rose

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hattie, the "handmaiden" seems to be in it for the health benefits and taste. That's fine but I'm just into herb teas for the flavor . . . oh, I guess I'm also trying to limit the amount of snacks consumed - so there's that too.

Probably somewhere on this thread I sang the praises of anise hyssop and lemon verbena. I think they make a very special flavor combination. There's nothing much lacking with either as a solo choice, either. Long steeping helps bring out the best of them.

Both of these herbs are growing nicely right now in the garden and I'll begin to harvest them tomorrow. And, I've got a bumper crop of catnip under the wild plum tree. Catnip used to be a favorite and is still appreciated but I may well have left it a little too long. I'd better cut it just to bring it back into production of fresh leaves.

I'll tell you what I wish . . . I wish I would have gotten into growing and collecting herbs for tea a long time ago. It is one of my simple and special pleasures in life. Actually, simple pleasures have always seemed the most special to me :cool:.

Steve :frow

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Burdock is an interesting herb. Its actually a root and I have a large volunteer in my back yard. I plan on taking a piece of its root with me when I finally move north and plant my garden. It has a lot of healing qualities and can be used in tea or the root is even eaten as a vegetable. The three roots found in this recipe I plan to grow...I think I may have to do the ginger in a greenhouse though.

Restoration Root Tea
1 cup dried Burdock root
1 cup dried Astragalus root
cup dried Ginger root
cup Ginseng root

1. Mix dried roots together and store in a glass jar.
2. To make tea, use cup mixture to 1 quart water
3. Simmer roots gently in water for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add 2 Tbsp honey, if desired.
5. Pour into a quart jar, roots and all. Let sit several hours or overnight.
6. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Drink hot or cold, 1-2 cups per day.
This tea really helps when youre feeling burnt-out, fatigued or generally rundown. Its a good gentle pick-me-up, and can be drunk for several days at a time to increase energy, and detoxify or cleanse the blood from bad habits.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Didgits I had never thought of Catnip for a tea. I just thought it was something to get your Kitty Cat stoned on :lol: :lol:

Mackay I would have nevered dreamed that Burdock was good for much,, I have been pulling it and tossing out in the CRP. :th Could you dry the roots enough to chop them up in a coffee grinder and brew them through a filter or make a filter bag??? Interesting ideas there thank you both so much :caf :clap

Hattie I checked out the link and she has some interesting idea and recipes there thank you. :clap

:happy_flower Karan :D :D :D

Latest posts