Practice Practice Practice

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary good for you, riding a beningike in traffic can be very frightening . I have a bike a bought 2 years ago and never used, I think you got me thinking of riding

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The second year that I bought it, I didn't ride it at all. I think I would prefer a 3 wheeler but my friend says that I'll never be able to live it down if someone from my gym sees me, haha.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, if you can move around and forward with some measure of dignity, you are always miles ahead!

I don't think I can ride a bike these days. My mobility relies on 1 leg. The right hushpuppy shoe wears a hole in the sole long before the other shows much wear. The right does all the work!

I wore my newest pair of hushpuppies through a large building on their first outing - stumbled 3 times. Fortunately, I'd brought the cane

I will be out the door soon for some activities. First thing will be to walk about 75 yards across lawn grass and I will do it with strength and with my chin up and in my olde hushpuppies! Yeah.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I love how you push yourself to stay active with your walking. That's why you've lost those pounds! Is it possible for you to walk a tiny bit, very slowly in the snow come winter? You might have to push or drag your leg but I bet you would burn calories. Oh and wear a waterproof boot and pants. ;)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Especially if there is some depth to it, the snow might not be so bad, Mary. I've never cared much for winter but the scenery can be lovely!

Ice isn't my friend. Lying on my back seeing stars is not the best sightseeing position.

When I first moved here nearly 50 years ago, I made the frames for snow shoes but never followed through. That kinda travel must be just amazing exercise! I wonder if I could get away with it ... and get away into the outdoors :).

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, definitely do not walk on ice. I fell last year doing that. Not fun at all. That is a great idea about the snowshoes. Stay on the fluffy snow either with snowshoes or regular ones. That burns a heck of a lot of calories!!!

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought my father spikes that strap on his shoes for walking dog in winter. He fought me for a hour about them next day walkig to my car I fell on ice, need to get pair for myself.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about this "only as old as you feel" notion.

Somehow, that is used to put the onus for feeling old, on the individual.

Well now, hold on einen Augenblick! If it's an actual physical feeling, nothing imagined can change the discrepancy between youth and age ...

I think often about how to move without toppling over. If I didn't, I'd totter about with a radius of about 35 feet and call it a day. Blech! Let's do the best we can :cool:.

decrepit digitS'

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never looked at it that way. For me, it meant just what it says. Young with physical ailments are just that old as their body is wore out. I've known older ones who are blessed with health and work like a younger person.

I've always like Satchel's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.....