Practice Practice Practice

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice bike! Is the fear of riding about falling, or traffic (or both)? My friend who rides invites me to join her sometimes, but I stopped going on winding roads with no shoulder, - too scary for me. There are some rail trails around here, where they've pulled up the old tracks and I really enjoy those, but I have to drive to get to any of them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bucka, the fear is about both. My earliest recollection was falling off by the railroad tracks where there was gravel. Needless to say I got a little banged up. I'm just not that steady on a bike. My husband says my bike is too heavy and I go to slow. Last year I fell stopped at a busy intersection. My bike just slowly tipped to the side. The streets are a little sloped for drainage by the curb. I felt like everybody and their mother saw me! Our city has a lot of bike trails. But you are riding between traffic and parked cars. I always feel that I'm going to hit a parked car.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm no longer a bike rider but I'm inclined to agree with your husband. Your bike looks a little like mine when I was 12. Heavy.

I'm a little surprised by how many young adults are riding, what I think of as, small bikes. Of course, they can do just about anything with them! Would a small bike be something you could try, Mary? Find one of today's 12 year olds and take her bike away from her for a few minutes!

Elbow pads and gloves might be a good idea.

I've seen pictures of bike paths between the parked cars and sidewalks. Amazing idea! If a driver going past was inattentive, they might hit a parked car but the bicyclist would be shielded.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Portland , Oregon has the WORST bicycle riders that I have ever encountered. It seems that they all are on a mission to commit suicide by car. :barnie

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
People are killed in NYC by bike riders. Last year a woman who was on ABC news reporter was hit and killed. Several new bike laws where made after that. Kind of sad, things don't change unless someone famous is effected