Price increases and shortages

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with @seedcorn on milking. I'm just not that dedicated. Nope.

i'm not a morning person so i certainly knew right away after hanging out at the neighbor's small dairy farm that i would not be a very good dairy farmer. one cranky calf or cow in the morning and that poor creature would be rehomed or veal or hamburger (or i'd be rehomed or worm food). especially if there are many other animals to take care of.

and a big reason why i like plants and worm keeping as for the most part none of them need instant care in the morning. currently the worm farm is on about a two week schedule where i check them.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IF you have not done that on a regular basis, might want to reconsider.....:idunno

Go work for a dairy, see how long till the “fun” wears off... wait till the goats find every perceived hole in the fence and believe the grass is GREENER on the other side. & that your vehicle was meant to be stood on.....
Anndddd that is why I don’t have any already :lol:

Part of my reason for considering it is that with how far out in the country we are even the “big” town only has one grocery store and we are often the last to get restocked. The Walmart and even the local chain stores didn’t get restocked until 3 weeks after the ones in the larger county next to us. We didn’t have dairy or flour for 3 weeks after Christmas last year. They’ve continued to run and things are often out of date.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anndddd that is why I don’t have any already :lol:

Part of my reason for considering it is that with how far out in the country we are even the “big” town only has one grocery store and we are often the last to get restocked. The Walmart and even the local chain stores didn’t get restocked until 3 weeks after the ones in the larger county next to us. We didn’t have dairy or flour for 3 weeks after Christmas last year. They’ve continued to run and things are often out of date.

oat milk, nut milks and soy milk are all things that you can even make for yourself and i'm ok with any of them, but i've gotten out of soymilk making because i ran out of beans and didn't grow any more. mainly i stopped because the pan i was using got a hole in it after many years of faithful service and we didn't replace it until several years later.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dh totally surprised me recently. We were having a discussion about buying one year's worth of non perishables, like soap, etc. I Thought he was going to fight me on this. I attacked with, "the girls can help pay for this." Then, HE suggested 3 years worth.
Already started...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m beginning to halfway seriously consider getting a young milk goat.
You might want to ask to babysit a friend's goat for a weekend or something before you try it. My neighbors got ~4~ pygmy goats and it has been a hilarious show ever since. These goats can get into anything, eat anything, and destroy anything, and they're tiny! They're the size of a cocker spaniel.

I get lots more details than I should because when there's an animal on the loose in the neighborhood, everyone assumes its mine. :rolleyes:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same here+1

When I moved to Germany in 2015, I was a bit surprised about the comparably low and stable prices of daily necessities. The transportation and housing costs in the big cities are high, but food or other daily life supplies are much lower than I imagined.

After attending some integration classes, I realized Germany has a mixed economic system that includes various private freedom, combined with centralized financial planning and government regulation.

We have bought three freezers and taken advantage of the sufficient storage spaces. Whenever a special offer is available, we will bring some back for preparation. Now all kinds of prices here also increase a lot due to the problematic global supply. I think it's never too late to start a good household inventory.

Latest posts