Prices for new roof ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when we redid central part of the house and the roof of the garden shed (attached to the back of the garage) we had quotes anywhere from $3,000 to $12,000. if we wanted metal quotes were from $9,000 to $18,000. we ended up having it redone for about $4,500. they had to replace a fair amount of decking.

based upon what i've seen happening to metal roofing (peeling surfaces, discoloration, fading, leaks) i don't think they're all that great a roof unless you get some very basic type that has a very integrated surface that won't fade, peel or discolor in a way you can't accept. i think there are some interesting solar options now for roofing that may be worth it in some locations. if you can get an integrated solar cell and roof panel as one unit it may be like having one pay for the other. this being new technology i'm pretty sure the issues are yet to be discovered for them, but after another 20yrs this may be well worth doing instead of a traditional shingle or metal roof.

also consider that hot water heating is well worth installing now, the technology is not too difficult plus it can be done so where it pays for itself in a few years.

we still need to have some work done on the chimney cap and then we'll have to have some of the roof repaired when the chimney is done (damage due to too much walking around up there).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2008, hurricane Ike dropped a massive oak tree on our house. I can tell you from experience that the one most, ok, TWO most essential things to prepare for a hurricane is a big pan of brownies and a box of cheap wine. With a huge tree crushing my house, ceilings caved in, tree branches poking into places they shouldn't be in, raining IN my house, I ate my brownies, drank my wine and no longer cared.

Then the clean up, the details I will spare you since this is about the roof. Roofers wanted upwards of $15,000 Y'all know me..... I said oh HELL NO!! I told DH that I'd do it myself and he told me that I couldn't. We argued a bit then he tossed out the clincher, he said "You're too OLD." I was only 53, that fired me up and I let him have it.

Shingles were to the moon and back on prices, talk about price gouging! I found architectural shingles, seconds for $42 a square in a town 78 miles away. I called and was told that I had to come pre-pay to reserve my shingles on the next shipment. I refused and was told to call back on Saturday to see if any were left. I did and there were. I said I was on my way, to hold 36 squares for me. This yay-hoo had to nerve to tell me that it was first come, first serve. I blistered his ears, the summation is I told him that if I drove all that way to pick up MY shingles and he told me he had sold them, that I was going to open up a red headed six pack of whup-ass all over him. He held them for me.

It was after I got loaded up that I realized the trailer I borrowed was not rated for that kind of weight. I over aired the tires up, prayed all the way back home, drove 40 MPH and had a string of road rage a mile long behind me. I made it home by the Grace of God and the patron Saint of Stupid People.

I got a guy from work named Gary to help me for $100 a day. The first weekend we tore the roof off, made repairs and tar papered it. That week, I got another guy from work to help put the shingles on the roof. They were so heavy that we had to break the bundles into thirds. DH busted the bundle, handed me a third, I went up the ladder and handed them to the guy and he placed them in rows on the roof. It took 3 evenings after work.

The second weekend, Gary and I got busy. We got a lot done. DH tossed us bottles of water and made sandwiches for our lunch. We sent him to Lowes for supplies.

The third weekend, DH decided we needed help, left and came back with a homeless guy named Larry. So me, Gary and homeless guy Larry finished knocking it out. It was beautiful.

Total cost was in the $5,000 range. Don't tell ME I can't do something.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had Amish put on a metal roof on garage 24’X24’ for $2000. They laid it over old roof-took about 4 hours. Now it matches my storage shed but house is odd ball with shingles....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
In 2008, hurricane Ike dropped a massive oak tree on our house. I can tell you from experience that the one most, ok, TWO most essential things to prepare for a hurricane is a big pan of brownies and a box of cheap wine. With a huge tree crushing my house, ceilings caved in, tree branches poking into places they shouldn't be in, raining IN my house, I ate my brownies, drank my wine and no longer cared.

i love the rest of your story, but this part reminded me of when i was in my apartment in southern Toledo and there as a tornado warning. no crawlspace or low place to go to but i had a chocolate bar so i sat there and ate that. if i was going to go, i was going to go with chocolate on my breath. :) it was a very good chocolate bar...

i would love to be able to be fit enough to do everything i need to do around here. i do what i can, but there's so much more i have ready to go and no body cooperation available to do it until things heal up more.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Near my house is a old barn with metal roof. Not sure what type metal but it got all rusty. About 5 years ago the roof was painted gray, still looks good.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup ... it took one day to remove every bit of the old roof down to bare wood and one day to install the new roof. I had them install 2 additional roof vents... then I added 4 additional vents on the house near the ridges. The attic temperature dropped life right now to outside temperature. This should increase the life span of the roof.I will install additional R 40 attic insulation over the old R 40 insulation . New windows will arrive on Monday and NEW Hardy Board siding has been delivered and will be installed next week. Busy busy ........ :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year we reroofed the 30yo, 4 car garage--~$6K
2 years ago we reroofed the 75yo barn, in metal--~$11K
4 years ago we reroofed the 100yo house with 3 dormers--~$9K
If I hadn't needed roofs, I could have bought a new car. o_O
Maybe you could sit on the ridge of the roof and make car engine noises and pretend......:lol: