Propagating Roses from Bouquet Cuttings

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My roses hadn’t been doing so well for the past week or so. They were turning light brown. I checked for roots last night and found none.

I am declaring them officially dead and I’m going to toss them today :hit

IMG_2680.jpeg

Well, that’s the way it is with rooting roses!

How are all of yours doing?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My roses hadn’t been doing so well for the past week or so. They were turning light brown. I checked for roots last night and found none.

I am declaring them officially dead and I’m going to toss them today :hit

View attachment 64664

Well, that’s the way it is with rooting roses!

How are all of yours doing?
Tossed mine yesterday.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay. I will tell you what we did in the rose greenhouse. It was not a common thing and usually left idle or used for different plants. The greenhouse business was almost entirely wholesale cut flowers but they did employ a part time arranger for bouquet sales and there was a plant stand for house plants in their packing shed.

Rose bushes were purchased from other greenhouses that did that business and these were grafted plants, without exception. The greenhouse where I worked purchased enough for 10,000 square feet of growing space at a time, or more. Sometimes, only a few bushes needed to be replaced.

A metal bench, about 4' by 8', had been built with the top serving as a tray with a drain and filled with perlite. It was a hydroponic set-up and covered with plastic film. Although it was within the glass greenhouses, the film permitted nearly 100% humidity. Misting provided water and was controlled by a valve on a clock. The valve switched on for a few minutes every few hours.

As I say, rose cuttings were seldom used but they came during the annual pruning of the bushes. Twelve or more inches were taken, buds could be removed from the bottom inches and these cuttings were set upright in the perlite.

Steve, who had no responsibility regarding this production.

Blueberry Acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A metal bench, about 4' by 8', had been built with the top serving as a tray with a drain and filled with perlite. It was a hydroponic set-up and covered with plastic film. Although it was within the glass greenhouses, the film permitted nearly 100% humidity. Misting provided water and was controlled by a valve on a clock. The valve switched on for a few minutes every few hours.

As I say, rose cuttings were seldom used but they came during the annual pruning of the bushes. Twelve or more inches were taken, buds could be removed from the bottom inches and these cuttings were set upright in the perlite.
Interesting. Do you know how many cuttings survived and became healthy bushes doing it that way?

Latest posts