Put in a pond?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is Mr. Toad courting. I love how the photo shows the vibration in the water.
singingcourtinf toad.JPG

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right about the environmental positive effects. We moved only 9 miles after having to sell, and now we don't have frogs, bats, all colors of dragonflies, and more. We made a huge deep cave for the fish, cus we did have a visiting heron and racoons - but they couldn't get at them when they hid.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 2312 We put in a pond at our last place. I bought some WalMart gold fish, and rescued some gold fish out of someone's old pool. When we had to sell our place, one fish was 8" long and they were so friendly. I loved that pond, and will have one again someday. Oh and hubby did all the work himself.
OMG that is so beautiful! So sad to have to leave it. :hugs I hope you get a pond again soon!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender, I hope you can figure out what we did here. It was hard to photograph with the spill pips coming out through the lattice fence.
View attachment 2316 View attachment 2314 View attachment 2315

Thankyou for getting the photos, Carol! The toad is so cool too! So where do you have the pump, and do you run it 24/7?
Maybe a bit bigger project than I intended, but there's already a half whiskey barrel on the deck..:D, and it drops down into a garden. The pool was about 4' from that garden.
Picture 6655.jpg

I think I need to get my SIL hooked on a fun project, sometimes it doesn't take too much. I can do a lot of it, just not moving all the rock.

If it doesn't stop raining soon I could probably just throw some goldfish out in the back yard.:D

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did mention the educational value of having a pond with those young people you care for. Learning to swim is important, but learning to love the Earth is priceless.

Oh believe me, after being cooped up with 12 kids for a long winter, that pool was pretty priceless. We spent almost every summer day in there, miss those days :\
I've wanted a pond for quite a while, daycare regulations would require a 4' fence around it and I couldn't quite figure out an appealing way to do that. That's the one part of that job I sure do not miss!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thankyou for getting the photos, Carol! The toad is so cool too! So where do you have the pump, and do you run it 24/7?
Maybe a bit bigger project than I intended, but there's already a half whiskey barrel on the deck..:D, and it drops down into a garden. The pool was about 4' from that garden.
View attachment 2347
I think I need to get my SIL hooked on a fun project, sometimes it doesn't take too much. I can do a lot of it, just not moving all the rock.

If it doesn't stop raining soon I could probably just throw some goldfish out in the back yard.:D

Lavender. Yes the pump runs 24/7. The filter/pump is located at the far end of the bigger pond. There is a hose that runs the water back up into the small upper pond and then up to the barrel by way of the antique hand pump. You can see the black hose coming up in the top right corner of the pond between/under rocks. We usually have pond plants in the small upper pond. They work as a bio filter. Helps to keep algae down and pond water cleaner.
We have also had a bit too much rain, but not enough to keep fish in the yard! But if we do not get a break to mow soon we will need to borrower a baler.

Latest posts