Questions to Ponder

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
He called asking if we had any hand sanitizer or ethyl alcohol around my area. None to be found. Hopefully he will be safe.
Hand sanitizer is getting hard to find due to panic buying. 151 proof alcohol, though, is still available... and unlike sanitizer, you can sterilize your throat with it. From the inside. Can't be too careful. :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Trivial or just difficult?

Caricatures aren't reality, So Lucky. I remember when you had some problems with your eyes. Maybe this will be a good time to just save your sight for something other than this person and her work.

For some reason the word that comes to mind regarding the personality described is Maladroit. And, for some reason, my spellchecker doesn't know the meaning of the word ... hmmmm, what do you suppose that says about my spellchecker?

Steve
I think your spellchecker must be maladroit.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just about anything that would disinfect is gone from the shelves. I suggested he just spray his hands with straight vodka.
What kind of alcohol comes in 151 proof? Not a drinking alcohol, surely?
I have never liked hand sanitizers due to them clearing off the natural oil and good bacteria that reside on your skin. Until now, I have not been an enthusiastic sanitizer. Now I will make an exception.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just about anything that would disinfect is gone from the shelves. I suggested he just spray his hands with straight vodka.
What kind of alcohol comes in 151 proof? Not a drinking alcohol, surely?
I have never liked hand sanitizers due to them clearing off the natural oil and good bacteria that reside on your skin. Until now, I have not been an enthusiastic sanitizer. Now I will make an exception.

well we have seen everclear and high proof rum, but the rum was so horrible even us kids would barely touch it. Mom didn't even have to worry about storing it in a low cupboard without a lock it was that bad. the only time we would drink it was like on a dare after a few other shots of something much better or something like that...

i think a really good way to get your hands clean is to go work in the dirt in a garden. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

Which will make you even more vulnerable to the very thing you fear. You had the right idea by avoiding them and also try to avoid antibacterial soaps, which do the same thing....kill the protective layer of oils and bacteria that reside naturally on your hands. Since they've installed sanitizer dispensers in hospitals, do you think that hospital derived infections have decreased? Not a bit.

Dig, if you are prone to chapped hands, do you see a correlation between using alcohol on them and this chronic chapping? It's like using ChapStick for dry lips when the main ingredient of ChapStick is alcohol...it's called creating a market for the product. :rolleyes:

The only way I'd ever use hand sanitizer is if I were digging a cess pool all day and couldn't adequately wash off the muck for some reason.

Germ phobia leads to increased susceptibility to germs, folks. There are reasonable steps like washing hands and then there are unreasonable steps like nuking the surface of your skin often and always, in hopes that a stray germ won't alight on the fissures you create by overwashing and using alcohol for cleansing.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
1584212407362.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
As the tests become more available, expect numbers of positives to jump. Washington State news is that over 7,000 have been tested. Of those, nearly 10% were positive.

Locally, the first positives are being reported. Unfortunately, some of those are at schools. Probably, those people sick and reporting to doctors have a priority for the tests.

Reading about the 1918 epidemic, I see that deaths often had to do with other infections. The person was weakened by the flu and something else sets in. The body is busy every day with minor this or that pathogens so a raging virus isn't acting alone.

Washington State residents may be unique but probably not. Unfortunately, the coronavirus gained a foothold in that Kirkland nursing home a month before test kits were available coast to coast in the US. You may remember that California was the early center of attention and a thousand miles south of Kirkland.

Everybody's baby. Everybody's grandma. Let's find ways not to spread illness around in our daily lives ... I have a new neighbor and was intending to take her a little gift. Right now, I'm wondering if social distance might not be more welcome than something handed to her at the front door :oops:.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
As the tests become more available, expect numbers of positives to jump. Washington State news is that over 7,000 have been tested. Of those, nearly 10% were positive.

Locally, the first positives are being reported. Unfortunately, some of those are at schools. Probably, those people sick and reporting to doctors have a priority for the tests.

Reading about the 1918 epidemic, I see that deaths often had to do with other infections. The person was weakened by the flu and something else sets in. The body is busy every day with minor this or that pathogens so a raging virus isn't acting alone.

Washington State residents may be unique but probably not. Unfortunately, the coronavirus gained a foothold in that Kirkland nursing home a month before test kits were available coast to coast in the US. You may remember that California was the early center of attention and a thousand miles south of Kirkland.

Everybody's baby. Everybody's grandma. Let's find ways not to spread illness around in our daily lives ... I have a new neighbor and was intending to take her a little gift. Right now, I'm wondering if social distance might not be more welcome than something handed to her at the front door :oops:.

Steve

perhaps writing on a chunk of cardboard a welcome new neighbor sign and post it where they can see it. :) my odd sense of humor would like that and remember it kindly. :)

Latest posts