Recycled Tomato Plants

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alphabetize my Garden??? I don't think that would have occurred to me ...

I try to keep similar varieties together - ease of picking the cherries, is one reason. I still have a listing of variety and number of tomato plants in the greenhouse. Since those weren't all for me, it was important to keep track. Once mine were in the garden, the dye was cast ...

What I should do is make a map while the plant labels are still easy to find. As it is, I'll have to rely on familiarity. Confirmation may require crawling around to find the label.

Somewhere, I said that there are no new-to-me tomatoes in my 2015 garden. That's not true! There is Lemon Boy ... but I'm expecting it to be very similar to @marshallsmyth 's Mischief. I'll certainly have to get those two sorted out.

Steve

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, Steve, not the whole garden. I just plant like varieties alphabetically. That is, Danver's Half-long are planted closer to the shed than Nantes. Black Sea Man tomatoes are closer than Celebrity. Most of my bush beans are planted in the same bed. Planted alphabetically, I can always remember what is where.

I would never try planting the whole garden alphabetically. Beans before cukes? Nope, just Munchers before Straight Eights. I am well to the point that I can determine what veggie the seedlings are and my rotation of crops means planting some crops in different areas each year.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I selected the dehybridizing lemon boy for foliage type, similar growth, apparent disease resistance, and lemon boy kind of tomatoes.

Your general mischief should have that dusty green foliage color like lemon boy. sage green, however it'd be best described

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I usually do the alphabetical planting in my hoop house. Hot peppers A - Z, sweet peppers, A - Z, and even tomatoes, but alphabetized by type (all the pastes first, then cherries, heirlooms, etc.)

This year, I was so constricted for time that I put out a few peppers and tomatoes at a time, based on how pot-bound the plant was, not the name.

I do make a garden map every year, and now I make a copy and hang it in the hoop house to jog my memory.

This year is a bit of a mess. Random pepper and tomato plants were taken by the rats, and gradually replaced by whatever varieties we found at the farmer's market. I tried to mark them all down, but my map is a mess with cross-outs and arrows.

The woman at the farmer's market grows varieties from Johnny's, so I am excited to try some new things (and hopeful that I can figure out what they are)!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I selected the dehybridizing lemon boy for foliage type, similar growth, apparent disease resistance, and lemon boy kind of tomatoes.

Your general mischief should have that dusty green foliage color like lemon boy. sage green, however it'd be best described
You described that color before, Marshall. I don't have such great color vision. I understand that isn't all that uncommon in men and reds-greens are on a scale. It was definitely unhelpful working with florists ... and trying to keep those fussy people happy :rolleyes:. . "it's a red ribbon and you can see its got some blue in it! whaddya waant??"

I don't have my list here but I'm fairly sure that the plants are the only ones with large yellow fruit in the garden.

I put several more tomatoes in, after I thought I'd stop at less than 60. If they don't burn up, this may be a good tomato year. I guess we are right now testing whether they can set fruit in high temperatures. That has never seemed to be a problem but very many days above 90°f aren't common. I hope low humidity helps because we went over 100° & dropped below 15% humidity at the same moment yesterday. ... (I'm goin' on an all-liquid diet today :\.)

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
While I've got you Marshall!

The Woodle Witz plants look good. The plants are all identical and they have their fruit of characteristic shape. This is "as always." I just need to wait to see if they have all orange fruit ...

That's orange with slight Douglas fir green, rugged earthtones and strong-willed roasted winter squash ...

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' here where it stays hot for many days in a row, the hot night time temperatures are blamed for poor pollination and fruit set for tomatoes, cukes and peppers. Whether that is true, I don't know for sure, but it's nice to have something to blame.

dirtlover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have volunteer Porter tomato plants all over the garden, several of which are bearing fruit already. I just pull up what I don't want and baby the rest of them. Porters are great at volunteering and we should have plenty for the hen that slips in the garden daily!

Latest posts