Reina, Baymule’s Horse

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put Reina in the round pen and let her graze this morning. Then I carried a saddle, pad and bridle out there and put them on the top rail. I walked away. I went back later and petted Reina, talked to her and put the saddle pad on her back. No lead rope, not tied up. I got the saddle, let her sniff it and eased that on her her. I walked around her, let the off side stirrup down and saddle girt. Walked around to the near side and cinched up the girt. All done with slow movement, softly speaking and lots of praise. She stood.

IMG_4249.jpeg

IMG_4248.jpeg

I fooled with her for about 30 minutes, and I unsaddled her, put it back on the top rail.
Came back later and put the bridle on her, again, no lead rope, not tied up. I saddled her up, walked her around and led her out the gate. The bit was hanging too low, so I adjusted both sides. The curb was loose, so I adjusted that too.

I walked her down the driveway, to the end, made a circle in the road, and back. She was very responsive and walked slower than she ever had. Normally she outwalks me and I have to stop her or circle her around me. Today she walked slow, I barely touched the reins to slow her down and sometimes she matched me step for step. She did good.

I unsaddled her, put it away and let her graze some more. Then I put her up and fed her.

IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4252.jpeg
My old dad and you would have got on very well

You're a natural my friend, obviously horses are in your blood or should I say second nature

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
from that i would say that she's not at all a stranger to those things.
No she isn’t. Vet said she’s 12-14 years old. She is already trained, that’s not it. She has been abused, her trust is broken. She was a little snorty but didn’t run away. I lifted a stirrup and let go. When it smacked her, she jumped, but held. She is starting to trust me, it’s going to be a long haul. Because of her broken trust, I’m in no hurry to jump on and ride. All things in their own time.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My old dad and you would have got on very well

You're a natural my friend, obviously horses are in your blood or should I say second nature
Thank you. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love horses. It’s a life long thing. I never showed or competed, I just like to ride.

Latest posts