Reina, Baymule’s Horse

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@seedcorn, yes, you can cut out tangles. You could also spook a new horse and jab them with scissors.
The next time becomes much harder.
Training is everything, and when a new horse understands that detangling is part of the routine, it becomes easier to do the next time.
Manes and tails will tangle bc the horse is out on pasture and you get some very windy days.

Most people never see a horse blow up panicked,
It is very dangerous.
This Fall, I cut 6 inches of burrs off of my Mountain horse's forelock. He knew what I was doing and trusts me.
It will grow back.
He has the black mane and tail of a Fresian.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How bad were her teeth?
Bottom teeth, both sides, outer edges, were a line of sharp points. Top teeth were the same. Not terrible but not good either. All better now! She was glad to see me (the feed bucket) this morning!

Didn't know horse's teeth required that but it makes sense. What about horses in the wild? What do they do?

Did the noise of the drill scare her?

Mary
Wild horses that get bad enough that they can’t eat become food for predators.

The noise didn’t scare her, she was sedated. It was a long rod for reaching the back of her teeth, with a flat file head on it that went back and forth, not round, as that would spin and be in danger of tearing the sides of her jaw. The vet tech got a grip on Reina’s tongue and held it out of the way.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@ninnymary ,
Floating is when the Vet uses rasps to file down sharp points that are created from wear and tear.
The aluminum apparatus keeps the mouth open.
Horses will hold paste wormer in their mouths for a long time, and then spit it out, wasting the $ you spent on it.
They are tricksy that way, so you have to hold their mouths open for floating.
Horses are like rabbits, in that their teeth continue to grow until age 30.

Latest posts