Reina, Baymule’s Horse

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reina has an eye infection. There was trauma to the eye. Meaning she could have banged her face/eye on who knows what. She gets a steroid eye drop 6 times a day. She gets 1 eye drop at night, it dilates her eye. Bute twice a day on her feed. Take her back next Monday for check up. Worst case scenario she loses the eye. If she gets worse, take her back immediately.

When I got back Friday evening from Disney World, after being gone all week, I checked all the animals. Reins was jumpy, eye was weeping and cloudy. She was scared because she couldn’t see from that eye. Called the vet and got her in today.

I think I got this figured out. Starting at 7 AM, eye drop every 2 hours, until 5PM. Wait 15 minutes then give the nighttime drop. Vet said, 3 times a day, but she’ll get better faster at 6 times a day.

She actually came to me when I called her, with halter in hand. I put it on her and gave her a treat. For the duration, I’ll leave it on her.

She is looking so much better! I take pictures February 6. I got her December 6, taking monthly pictures.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s been pouring rain all day. It’s has blown sideways, rained so hard it’s like a white out. It’s a swamp out there. I’ve suited up and gone outside to convince Reina that’s it’s a good idea for me to poke at her eye with an eye drop bottle. She is not convinced. Can’t blame her, I probably wouldn’t like it either. I skipped her 1:00, it was dumping buckets of rain. Her 3:00 is coming up, still raining, but doable. Miserable day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s been pouring rain all day. It’s has blown sideways, rained so hard it’s like a white out. It’s a swamp out there. I’ve suited up and gone outside to convince Reina that’s it’s a good idea for me to poke at her eye with an eye drop bottle. She is not convinced. Can’t blame her, I probably wouldn’t like it either. I skipped her 1:00, it was dumping buckets of rain. Her 3:00 is coming up, still raining, but doable. Miserable day.

:hugs to both of you! hope she feels better soon!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This eye drop thing has not been going well. Reina hates it and tosses her head. Tuesday it STORMED. Rain poured down, blew sideways and rained and rained. I’d catch a lull in the storm and go put eye drops in her eye. Tuesday wasn’t so bad, rain and all. Wednesday I had to leave early for therapy, get oil changed in the car, run errands and buy groceries. I didn’t get home until after 2. Then unloaded car, put away groceries.

Went to give Reina her eye drop. She shook her head sideways, tossed it up and down, it was a fight. I only got her 2 eye drops plus her nighttime drop on Wednesday. Thursday I bought a humane twitch. That made a world of difference! Now I put the twitch on, hold with one hand, fumble in pocket for tiny eye drop bottle, unscrew cap and work it between her eye lids and squeeze. I’m back on track. I give her a treat and let her graze 5 or 10 minutes.

This is working.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
chain.gif
@digitS' .. best I can do 😁

I'm so glad the twitch is working for you @baymule

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have no idea what a twitch is when it comes down to horses other than i've been twitched off one or two and run over by another.

ok, i've now educated myself, it's a stick with a rope circle on the end so you can bring them closer more easily. :)

Latest posts