Rhubarb - What Else To Use It For?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a complete gardening idiot. I can only follow directions and somehow I have a garden. I have never seen Rhubarb, but I have heard of it. So where do I buy it and how does is come (seed or root?)? I did a Google and it looks very pretty.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can get rhubarb seeds, although not much choice of variety (not that there's THAT much difference among rhubarb varieties, IMO). It will be at least 3 yrs before you get a harvesting-size plant from seed.

Most people either buy bareroot or potted plants, or get divisions from friends/relatives/neighbors who are dividing their own rhubarb. Division is usually done in spring just as the first leaves are starting to show; potted plants can be put in anytime during the growing season.

It grows very well in cold-winter areas, not so well in the South where there is no winter to speak of.

Pat

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, lots of yummy sounding things to do with rhubarb - thanks guys!
I'm off to start harvesting :drool Well, ok, I guess I have to wait until tomorrow..............

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ducks - Grandpa always says that if there is a bit of a frost all you need to do is wait 4-5 days and the poison that backed out of the leaves into the stems will go back where it came from.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks!! :hugs It's always good to refer to the experts. MY grandfather learned to garden from necessity during the Great Depression. He had a job, but no income from it. He took the clay soil around Cleveland, amended it, and even when I was a kid in the 1960's-70's he still had the most beautiful lawn and vegetables that could win awards.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can always send rhubarb to me! I love the stuff, but it doesn't grow well here :( .

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The rhubarb squares came out great! Served with a little vanilla ice cream... yum, yum!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BetterHensandGardens said:
I finally have rhubarb again that's old enough to start harvesting (see http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/04/18/growing-rhubarb/) and we use it for pies, but what else does everyone use it for? Looking for new ideas - it's the first thing I can actually harvest here!
Reminds me of an old joke, (Come to think of it I AM an old joke)

The new bride proudly set something unidentifiable in front of the hubby.
"What's that?"
"It's a pie"
"Why is it long and thin?"
"It's a rhubarb pie silly".

Latest posts