Rhubarb - What Else To Use It For?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the recipe for Rhubarb Jam (from allrecipes.com)

2 1/2 pounds fresh rhubarb, chopped
2 cups white sugar
2 tsps grated orange zest
1/3 c orange juice
1/2 cup water

In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil. Then cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thick. It will thicken more as it cools. Ladle into hot sterile jars, and seal with lids and rings. Store in the fridge.

I stored some of mine in fridge and poured the rest into freezer safe containers and froze.

Enjoy!

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I see that folks are looking for rhubarb recipes again, so I thought maybe getting this thread running again this year might be worthwhile - there are lots of yummy recipes in here! :clap

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my GOLLY!! We had rhubarb in the yard when I was growing up (no garden... just one rampant strip of rhubarb LOL) I would go out there and sit and pull the stanks and just eat them. Oh do I miss rhubarb!!! Maybe I will have to try and plant some here and see if I can get it to grow! Oh I LOVE rhubarb!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grandbabies, that is a fun sight! I think I will try that jam recipe. I liked the one I posted last year- but it was freezer jam, and I would prefer to actually can it! Thanks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think someone could make a living off a 1/4 acre of rhubarb. But, he or she would have to find just the right market. Maybe a 1/8th of an acre and good skill for value-added products.

It seems that 1/2 of the consumer population love it . . .

1/4 hate even the thought of it . . .

1/4 don't even know what it looks like.

Steve :p

Latest posts