Rhubarb - What Else To Use It For?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I desperately want Rhubarb in my garden, but I think I'm out of luck.

I've heard various opinions re Shading, watering, compost, overwintering-in-the-fridge, etc.

Anyone have any experience pampering Rhubarb in the Deep South?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
homey brown sugar and oatmeal mixture serves as both a topping and a crust in these rhubarb-intense bars. Using grated ginger for the filling instead of chopped ensures that the ginger flavor is dispersed throughout the filling.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 1/2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb (about 12 oz.)(3/4 inch)*

1. Heat oven to 350F. Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.

2. Beat butter in medium bowl at medium speed 1 minute or until creamy. Beat in brown sugar 30 to 60 seconds or until well-blended. At low speed, beat in flour, oats and salt 30 to 60 seconds or until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the oat mixture; press remaining mixture into bottom of pan.

3. Wipe bowl clean. Add cream cheese; beat at medium speed 1 minute or until fluffy. Beat in sugar 1 minute or until creamy. At low speed, beat in sour cream 15 seconds. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and ginger.

4. Sprinkle rhubarb over crust; cover with batter. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture; bake an additional 25 to 30minutes or until puffed and lightly browned, and knife inserted in center comes out clean.

5. Cool on wire rack to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Remove from pan using foil; cut into bars.

TIP *Three cups well-drained thawed frozen rhubarb can also be used.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just tried making rhubarb juice. Not bad- I cut up chunks and simmered for about an hour. After it cooled, I strained out the juice (sent the pulp to the compost pile.) Added some sugar and lemon juice and a few sprigs of mint. Pretty good. Would also be good added to tea...

Latest posts