Rhubarb - What Else To Use It For?

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some great recipes using rhubarb,,
Rhubarb Juice W/Punch Variations,
Rhubarb Sherbet, Rhubarb Conserve, Rhubarb Dumplingsw/sauce (Yummy),
Rhubarb Strawberry Pie, Rhubarb Pineapple Pie, Rhubarb Pie, Rhubarb Sauce, Rhubarb Crumble, Rhubarb Jam, Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake,
Rhubarb Cherry Pie, Rhubarb Cherry Glaze, Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler...

If anyone is interested in any of the recipes, Let me know and I will post. Some of these recipes are from my Amish Cookbook..

Ginny

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well this is a timely thread, a friend of mine came by the house this week and wanted to know if I wanted to come over to her mother's garden and dig up her rhubarb plants.
She said her mother isn't gardening anymore and she has some enormous plants and thought of me so her daughter swung by and made me an offer I would be crazy to refuse.
I do have a couple of rhubarb plants that I started almost two years ago but they are still way too small to be able to harvest enough stalks to make all these interesting recipes.

Thanks to all that posted them.

Now I have to figure out a way to dig up these plants without injuring them.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be best to dig it up all in one piece or to divide it.
Which would be less traumatic to it?
I don't have any idea what the mature roots even look like.

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:
Rhubarb Strawberry Pie, Rhubarb Pineapple Pie, Rhubarb Pie, Rhubarb Sauce, Rhubarb Crumble, Rhubarb Jam, Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake,

If anyone is interested in any of the recipes, Let me know and I will post. Some of these recipes are from my Amish Cookbook..

Ginny
MEEEE!!!!! I have tons of it and loooove it. Please post recipes :D

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:

Ginny
Yes some of them sound lovely. (the cherry rhubarb ones and the coffee cake) :drool :celebrate :thumbsup

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
Well this is a timely thread, a friend of mine came by the house this week and wanted to know if I wanted to come over to her mother's garden and dig up her rhubarb plants.
She said her mother isn't gardening anymore and she has some enormous plants and thought of me so her daughter swung by and made me an offer I would be crazy to refuse.
I do have a couple of rhubarb plants that I started almost two years ago but they are still way too small to be able to harvest enough stalks to make all these interesting recipes.

Thanks to all that posted them.

Now I have to figure out a way to dig up these plants without injuring them.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be best to dig it up all in one piece or to divide it.
Which would be less traumatic to it?
I don't have any idea what the mature roots even look like.
:frow :frow

If they are really established plants I think it would be almost impossible to dig a whole clump out in one piece as they have extremely deep roots which really hold on to the soil. I hope you are feeling very fit & strong. I would take along someone to help & the two of you dig from opposite sides & try to collect clumps of about a foot across if possible. I have seen patches which are easily 6ft across but they are from neglected gardens where people have just given up try to keep the plant producing thinner sweeter stems which is really what we need for cooking.

When replanting make sure you put a lot of well-matured poopy compost in the bottom of the planting hole & to keep the plants well watered throughout their first summer in their new home. Also remember the moment you see a flowering spike cut it right off at the base of the plant.

Good luck & mind your backs as you dig........:rolleyes: I have broken many a garden fork trying to dig out rhubarb to thin it or move it. It can be almost impossible in very dry soil.......... :(

:weight Hattie :weight

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rhubarb Dumplings:

This is a rich buttery biscuit dough , rolled like a jelly roll, filled w/chopped rhubarb and baked in a sheer pink cinnamon sauce..

Sauce:
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon, rounded
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Red Juice or food coloring

Dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp cold butter
1/2 to 3/4 cup cream or milk

Filling:
1/4 stick of butter, softened
2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (if using frozen do not thaw)
1/2 cup sugar
Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven 350 degrees

In saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Stir in water: add butter..Bring to boil; cook and stir one minute, add vanilla, and if desired, enough food coloring or juice, etc to tint a deep pink; set aside, cool
For dough, In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and mix quickly..gather dough into ball and roll out on floured surface into 12x9- in. rectangle. Spread w/softened butter; arrange rhubarb on top. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over rhubarb. Roll up from the long side, and place on cutting board, seam side down. Cut roll into 12 slices. Arrange slices, cut side up, in greasd 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Pour sauce over. Bake @ 350 for 35-40 minutes or till golden brown..Serve w/heavy cream Yeilds 12 servings

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake

Filling:

3 cups sliced fresh or frozen 1 inch pieces rhubarb
1 quart fresh strawberries, mashed
2 TBSP's lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch

Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp.salt
1 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar

In LG saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice.
Cover and cook over med. heat about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch, stir into saucepan. Bring to boil, stir constantly until thickened; remove from heat and set aside.

In lg bowl, combine flour , sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until mix resembles course crumbs.

Beat buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture. Spread half of batter evenly into greased 13-in x 9-in x 2 inch baking dish. Carefully spread filling on top. Drop remaining batter by tbsp full over filling.

For topping;, melt butter in saucepan, over low heat. Remove from heat, stir in flour and sugar, till mix resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 dgrees for 40-45 min. Cool in pan , cut in squares..Yeilds 16 - 20 servings

Put pan or foil on lower rack to catch any juicy spills..

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rhubarb Cherry Pie

3 cups sliced fresh (1/2 inch pieces) or frozen rhubarb
1 16 oz. can pitted, tart red cherries, drained, or about 2 cups fresh pitted or frozen cherries..
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
4 drops food coloring..(optional)

Pastry for Double Crust Pie: 9 inch

In mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients ,let stand 15 minutes, line 9-inch pie plate w/ pastry;add filling. Top w/lattice crust; flute the edges.
Bake at 400 degrees for 40-50minutes till crust is golden and bubbly.

8 servings

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deep Dish Cherry Rhubarb Pie: (Amish recipe)

This is a traditional pie with a top crust w/lots of fruit underneath..w/crispy, slightly sweet pastry

3 cups pitted, fresh, red tart cherries
3 cups sliced 1/2 inch pieces rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 TBSP cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
few drops red food coloring, optional
speck of salt
1/2 cup butter, pieces

Crust

1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps..lard or shortening
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups all -purpose flour
1/3 cup ice water
granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350

In large bowl combine cherries, rhubarb, sugars, cornstarch, extract, food color, and salt. Transfer to an oiled 1 1/2 qt casserole dish..Dot w/butter. Set aside.

In large bowl, cream lard (or shortening,) sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add 1/2 cup flour, and stir lightly, by hand. Add 2 tbsp's ice water, and mix lightly, repeat adding flour and ice water, until soft dough is formed.
Transfer dough to floured surface and rollout to fit top of the casserole. (this crust will be thicker than a traditional pie crust). Place pastry on top, patting firmly against side of dish. Cut slits in top and sprinkle w/sugar Bake 1 hour, or till juices are bubblin to top and crust is golden brown..Cool

Latest posts