Santa delivered, so ..?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
haha, no, I didn't know cows could jump. I thought they were too big and heavy.

Mary

One of our neighbors has their acreage completely 6 foot fenced.
(The rest of us call it the "Compound" :D )
One of the other neighbors saw a moose pop over it last Christmas Eve day.
Moose are large and heavy too. But amazingly agile. They opened the gate so she could walk out. Worried about her agility on the exit I suppose.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been thinking and planning already for 2016. I hope to get a few things in the ground earlier, like peas. I want to have the fences and supports up. I want to expand the garden to areas of yard that is not needed. I plan on getting a load of topsoil this year. I am thinking of planting more potatoes and using kind of a Helen Stout method, but I am not sure. I want to plant more greens of different types and use more broth type cooking this year with less meat, money and health reasons. Our neighbors moved and had a garage sale. I bought a small greenhouse and a metal shelves, and I am going to use those for putting my starts in when I put them out on the patio, kind of expansion of the sawhorse greenhouse. :weeeLooking at seed catalogs.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I refer you all to a previous topic on TEG, bull riding. Thinking a cow can't jump goes counter to all evidence of that cow's mate jumping belly up with a cowboy on its back.

Gardening WR, I love Helen Stout's gardening method! I still have her book from the early 1970s -- a real favorite with me.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I refer you all to a previous topic on TEG, bull riding. Thinking a cow can't jump goes counter to all evidence of that cow's mate jumping belly up with a cowboy on its back.

Gardening WR, I love Helen Stout's gardening method! I still have her book from the early 1970s -- a real favorite with me.

Apparently, I just made up the name Helen Stout, it is Ruth Stout, but at least I remembered Stout. LOL

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some habits can form in an instant..
Like the fact that I look into the corner of the coop EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO IN because I saw a snake there once - a year ago...
Or that annoying little hand flip EVERY TIME I walk through a doorway to flick the light switch.. even if the power is out...
Or the instant need to go to the bathroom the moment I turn into the driveway..

So WHY is it so hard to engrain USEFUL things????

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
" Repetisium est mater studiorum ". Repetition is the mother of studying. The Romans came up with this bit of wisdom centuries ago. It seems that the brain learns by repeating a bit of new information 6 times in order to remember 66% of what we heard through repetition. Remember the flash cards in school ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... So WHY is it so hard to engrain USEFUL things????
I didn't reread the article but searched for two words: fun & pleasure. Nope and Nope.

It may be that we imagine that changes will be no fun. So, we continue with whatever is making us miserable ... or, what scares us ... or, what embarrasses us ... or, what will get us tossed in the clink, sooner or later ;).

I felt I should make a change in my coffee habits. You can see how much fun I had with that! Right now there is more coffees and teas in this house than ever before! I'm also coming to several understandings about it and have made one important change.

With all that available caffeine ;): Next, I've never been much for exercise, never athletic. Work was physical and I stayed in okay shape that way. Probably better shape as a retired guy with a big garden.

The roads are terrible. I'm not going walking. A neighbor actually volunteered a "be careful" when he saw me out doin' all of 8 blocks yesterday :rolleyes:.

I was in 3 places of business this morning but so what?

Weellll, I've just covered a mile here in the house! Sixty laps of 88 feet each = 5,280! Hey. I was so pleased to learn that I had that 88' "track!"

The ticker only hit 96/minute about 3/4 of the way thru so I've gotta incorporate more of those prancercise moves but I may have found the combo for the winter couch potato!

I think I'll treat myself to another cup of Tikuanyin!

Steve ;)

Latest posts