Santa delivered, so ..?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just watching a chef saying that limits prompt creativity ...

What would that mean in the garden if we accepted that notion and wanted to be more creative?

When I worked for farmers, they seemed to be focused on their farms the way I'd imagine an industrialist would focus on a factory. Greasing the machinery so as to enhance the bottom line. I suppose they had to be.

What would it be like to focus on one crop? Like potatoes!

I could finally justify having garden ground tied up all season in a late crop ... see what kinda production I could get out of those babies! Oh, but I wouldn't be limited to a single harvest time so, I could still have the earlies ... have you noticed that the little fingerlings - nearly all - require a full season?

My earlies aren't faring so well down in the basement. Harvest beginning in July, what could I expect?

Burpee lists beans, cabbage family, corn, eggplant, and peas as good companions in the potato patch. I've transplanted orach volunteers between the emerging spuds, early in the season. What an interesting garden, don't you think?

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, look at it this way ... Quite a few of the displaced Hmong from Viet Nam near Fresno, Cal. rent small acreage ( up to 20 acres ) and raise multi crops on those lands. Their entire families ( dad, mom, kids, grandparents, etc.) dad and /or mom have other jobs, but are on welfare too as they can't make enough money. While most of the other folks with similar lands grow a single crop , such as thompsons seedless grapes, oranges, lemons, pomogranets, pistacios, beef, lambs, horses, alfalfa, strawberries,winter wheat, lettuce, etc. seam to do quite well. Scale of specialization of operations. Small backyard gardens would be an exception. :idunno

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think I could ever contain myself with only one species of veggies to plant. Only potatoes? Only carrots? Only peas? Not gonna happen as long as I can stick a trowel in the Earth.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A mile walking in the house in 32 minutes. Probably not too bad considering all the turns and doorframes I have to navigate.

Pulse was 98 half way through and it hit 103 on the last lap ...

My nearest outdoor walking destination is .9 miles and the furthest of 4 is 1.3 miles ... I take a few minutes to rest on the longest route. However, I'm walking double the distance. Am I interested in doubling my distance in the house? Well, I think I'll just try to improve my dance steps.

:) Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dancing is perfect exercise for when you're stuck indoors. Perhaps your DW will take up the tango with you? Or something to that effect. Even more fun. :)

My 3-year-old takes a whim every so often on these cold winter days stuck indoors where she will run back and forth across the house for about 15 minutes straight. Says "look Mom, I'm a blur!" or "can you see my hair flying?" Works for her! LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, GWR! I tried picking up the pace on my mile jaunt, yesterday. Precision is not my forte, however, since I'm dragging one foot to begin with. Of course, I could spread cushions around and essentially fall in a designated place ;). Time & pulse would be guides but odds of tipping over, rise ...

As it is, I'm having trouble getting a pulse above about 105. Yes, it's my own fault.

In GWR's video, you may notice how the workout would be a little different with the different individuals. See how the lady in the front right "gets into it" more. I bet she also gets more out of it, even if you might not want her on your relay team. Notice how the guy has longer legs so back and forth steps are shorter and easier.

The guy does have heavier arms, tho'. I was trying to make more use of the arms, yesterday. I pass under 3 door frames and can touch the top of the South Window frame before turning. Reach, step, step, step, step, Reach, step, step, Reach!

Speed improved from 32 to 29 minutes but pulse was still below 105 at completion.

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, GWR! I tried picking up the pace on my mile jaunt, yesterday. Precision is not my forte, however, since I'm dragging one foot to begin with. Of course, I could spread cushions around and essentially fall in a designated place ;). Time & pulse would be guides but odds of tipping over, rise ...

As it is, I'm having trouble getting a pulse above about 105. Yes, it's my own fault.

In GWR's video, you may notice how the workout would be a little different with the different individuals. See how the lady in the front right "gets into it" more. I bet she also gets more out of it, even if you might not want her on your relay team. Notice how the guy has longer legs so back and forth steps are shorter and easier.

The guy does have heavier arms, tho'. I was trying to make more use of the arms, yesterday. I pass under 3 door frames and can touch the top of the South Window frame before turning. Reach, step, step, step, step, Reach, step, step, Reach!

Speed improved from 32 to 29 minutes but pulse was still below 105 at completion.

Steve
You go @digitS' A great start. An increase in pulse rate is good. Each day you improve slightly is FABULOUS in my book. ;)