Santa delivered, so ..?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The snow did me in.... Except for going out to the barn and coop every few hours, I didn't MOVE Fri. & Sat. And I kept 'remembering' where some little Christmas goodie was hidden... Ugh..
But no biggie. Like I keep saying, this is a lifestyle, not a game show. No one is taking off points if things aren't done 'just so'. I started back Sunday and am enjoying by Minty Morning Smoothie right now.
Baby steps are the BEDROCK of any 'forever' change.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The snow did me in.... Except for going out to the barn and coop every few hours, I didn't MOVE Fri. & Sat. And I kept 'remembering' where some little Christmas goodie was hidden... Ugh..
But no biggie. Like I keep saying, this is a lifestyle, not a game show. No one is taking off points if things aren't done 'just so'. I started back Sunday and am enjoying by Minty Morning Smoothie right now.
Baby steps are the BEDROCK of any 'forever' change.
So True. I am with you taking baby steps to a better lifestyle. Hope your aches and pains are less today.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee, I just got caught up with this thread and just wanted to put my two cents' worth in:
If you can find a video of beginning tai-chi, or just the tai-chi warm up exercises, I think you would benefit from doing these easy, slow, gentle exercises. It is surprising how they loosen up your back, knees and torso, and help your balance. I had to do it for about a month before it didn't hurt a little, with sciatica and RA.
Just thinking if you can get so it doesn't hurt so much to move, it may be easier too advance to something more strenuous. But be careful not to over do it, and set yourself back. Good luck.
And I'm gonna check out @canesisters diet!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee, I just got caught up with this thread and just wanted to put my two cents' worth in:
If you can find a video of beginning tai-chi, or just the tai-chi warm up exercises, I think you would benefit from doing these easy, slow, gentle exercises. It is surprising how they loosen up your back, knees and torso, and help your balance. I had to do it for about a month before it didn't hurt a little, with sciatica and RA.
Just thinking if you can get so it doesn't hurt so much to move, it may be easier too advance to something more strenuous. But be careful not to over do it, and set yourself back. Good luck.
And I'm gonna check out @canesisters diet!
Thanks @ So Lucky. I am dragging out the 3 -in-1 exercise bike/elliptical DH bought and only used a few times 3 YEARS ago! I will start east for sure.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should be dragging out the 3 in 1 oil for my shoulders. I seem to be just getting by with being allowed to sleep as usual.

Exercising the arms should help and it's important anyway as a way to get more out of my small stepping, indoors. I just can't get going well enough to get the heart rate above 100 on such a short track without the arm movement.

It is a way for me to make "points." They are self-appointed but that's what I do. I line up pennies to keep track of laps. I haven't started taking them down to the 7-11 to cash in on a treat - I would if it would help ;).

If I was doing this to lose weight, and I kinda am, I would have problems using pounds for points. I'm getting much more exercise in the spring and summer. Look back on those "slender" threads! It took me months to record any pound or two lost. Record heat, outdoors and sweating every day - it's late September before I can say I've lost 15#.

No, I'll check my pulse every few days and see if I have mastered the technique, line up my 60 pennies, and get outdoors on nicer walks - even if I have to drive somewhere to enjoy them.

Steve (& Kris Kristofferson)

Breakin' any ties before they bind you
Taking any comfort you can find
Running like you're running out of time

Take it all, take it easy till it's over
Understanding when you're headin' for the border Lord

You're bound to cross the line

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only one mile trod, yesterday.

Put another notch in the post this morning then realized that the rain had stopped but was imminent. Out the door and took my longest regular route plus a little more. Three miles with a little sit-down along the way.

It didn't go without a hitch - tripped over a crack in the pavement and came this close to falling. Fancy cane work and I regained the vertical :). Several years ago when the cane and I were new to each other, I'd have been furious. Carry the dang thing around and it still allows a stumble? These days, I'm grateful for whatever assistance it provides.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that you are amazing for continuing on with such determination in the face of obstacles.
My walking can easily be deterred by things like, it's too hot (or cold, or windy...) or I'm just too tired, or I've got a million things to do that can't POSSIBLY wait 30mins...
:hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, but Debbie ... I don't have a million things to do :).

You know how we tell olde people? "Take care of yourself." I suppose that I haven't quite wound down where that would be too much bother. There are things I want to do in a few weeks that will take some measure of good health and strength. This Lazyboy won't get me halfway there and firing myself up in April will be 10 times more difficult (& painful) than at a rolling start.

Besides, I feel better :D!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope so, Mary. If this is a way to stay limber and exercise the cardiovascular system, I'm okay.

If 5 times a week is needed, I haven't missed 1 day in over 4 weeks, so if something comes up, I'm golden. If 30 minutes is adequate, I can cover 2 miles outdoors in 45. I'm slower indoors with all the turning so there is no need to worry about wearing out the carpet. If a pulse of 100+ per minute is good enough, I can hit that with the higher outdoor speed or indoors by absurdly waving my arms :).

I won't be entering the Olympic Games so there is no reason to risk life and limb. I just want to be able to do something more than toddle about and sit down. That would likely be a short road. There are discoveries out there for me to make, if I can just get down to the intersection and hang a left.

Steve :)

Latest posts