Santa Delivered

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I can do much the same exercises at home, but I started going to the gym (YMCA) more for socialization than for much needed exercise. Having people expecting me at class and supporting my progress makes it easier than staying home and getting the walking, biking, and weight work in on my own. Then there is the pool and the sauna that make the work worth it.
I totally agree with you. I need those people around me and that loud music! My husband has occasionally said to me that I could buy some weights and do everything I do at the gym at home and that I would save tons of money. Yes I would save money but I know I wouldn't do it. My friends in class keep me accountable.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The same for attending Weight Watchers for me. I love the leader and all my new friends on the same journey! We support and encourage and keep accountable.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree about harder to do alone. My BF and I did weights 30 years ago at her house. I HAD to show up and then one of us when be like nah, but the other did the routine so the other felt obligated. I kind of feel guilty going to get in shape and DH in such bad shape, that I am not going to go to a gym without him. I have thought if I joined Weight Watchers that I might lose when I had to show up and weigh. DD and DS both joined a gym, but DD works and DS has to depend on one of us to take him. He is learning to drive and get his license soon, so he can go when he wants then.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
GArdening with Rabbits, please don't feel guilty about getting in shape. The better shape you are in, the better you will be to take care of your husband and others if need be. Do what you can and what works for you. Who knows, maybe the fact that you are working on it will have a positive effect on your husband.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a big discussion with DD today about health and taking care of yourself. She is 23 now and going to be married this summer. I am doing all the work of looking into her blood work and what does it mean. DH has not a clue the name of his medicine, the name of his disease, nothing. I was trying to tell DB about DD's blood work and he looks at DS and tells him, see, if you don't go to the doctor then you will be fine. lol DD is just burning her candle at both ends and nothing I can do for her if she does not try to help herself. DS and I both agree we need to take care of ourselves and really it would not hurt DH to do light weights.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it was about 20 minutes. You jog 2 minutes at the end, but I do not feel like I walked a real mile. I cannot do pushups, which is something I want to work on. I can do situps. Lunges I can do but hate. Squats are very easy for me. I can do the plank but not sure how long. My arms need strength.
To learn and develop the strength to do 'real' push ups start by leaning into the wall and push yourself away from it, then back much the same way you would do them on the floor. Gradually you will find it easier to move a bit further from the wall and get more of a lift. Done repeatedly over a few month, you should find yourself able to move to the floor and do push ups. At least that is how it worked for me. Never could do them before. Not even in high school. But starting with baby steps made the effort a breeze.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening with Rabbits, you are so right when you say we cannot do something for someone if they are not willing to help themselves. My mom has had 2 different types of cancer and a heart attack. One of the cancers was colon. All her children are supposed to have a colonoscopy every 5 years. Out of 7 siblings, only my sister and I do them regularly. The others just procrastinate. My oldest sister is a tech at a hospital and should know better. She makes excuses for not getting one done, such as she needs a driver. I have offered to fly to Houston to be her driver and so have her 2 kids and spouses who live close to her. She is 70 and never goes for physicals or anything.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One reason I try to take care of myself is because Mom would have wanted me to. There are a few other people ... it isn't just egocentric selfishness that keeps me trying.

Hey, I just came in from using the roof rake to clear up to about 14" of snow off my porch roofs! I'm gonna be so sore tomorrow!

While I was out there, I weighed my snow shovel -- it's 5.5#. Lifting that is considered a muscle-strengthening activity, right?

Okay then, I'll put some weight in it! But, it can't be much. The snowflakes this year have been consistently the lightest things imaginable! Now when they develop into a crust on the roof, that is another story :confused:.

Steve
it's snowing again ...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening with Rabbits, you are so right when you say we cannot do something for someone if they are not willing to help themselves.

Mary

Today, DH got news his oldest sister died. She was I think 65. She looked 85. Drinking and smoking her whole life. She has been losing a lot of weight the last year. A few weeks ago her family took her to the ER. DH's mother took her and she is 82 or so, and thought her daughter had a stroke. ER could not find anything right then and she would not stay. They are not doing an autopsy. It could be stroke, could be cancer. She was slurring her words so even could be brain tumor, but she went fast, but such a waste. Could have been gardening and being happy.

Latest posts