Santa Delivered

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew you had the spirit of a champion, Mary
Cheerleader.gif
!

@Gardening with Rabbits , the diagnosis was over 40 years ago. I don't know what tests were done. (I could say that I don't remember but apologizing for my forgetfulness is becoming a habit I'm trying to break ;).)

With the back, other problems of regular old osteoarthritis became involved. That was later but the RA can be blamed (at least, by me) for setting me up. I also blame hearing loss on RA but there were other things involved there also - like noise. Improvement to my health from the low point was fairly steady but it took years from the time when flare-ups were monthly to every other month to a couple times a year, to once every couple of years. Minor rashes still occur but respond very well to steroid creams.

I was also fairly responsive to anti inflammatories but I, and the MD's, quickly learned that my stomach couldn't deal with them for any amount of time. Oral and injected steroids didn't seem to do any good.

As for diet or any other thing, I don't know. Never did the health professionals give me any food advice. I've been aware of various ideas that popped up for a few years. Uncooked fruits and vegetables good. Nightshade vegetables bad and apple cider vinegar good. Coffee bad while red wine good. If there was some consistency to the claims, clinical trial confirmation, something other than chatter - maybe I would have taken some of these seriously. It's rather humdrum of me to just say that slogging along made me feel better and curling up in a ball made my health worse. I've tried to eat healthful food and that took several turns through the years. I've mentioned how my son once thought he might have diabetes so I went right out and bought 3 cookbooks. He didn't have diabetes but I looked at that diet and couldn't help but thinking, "this is just eating healthy food!" About that time I was discovering stir-fries - I mean, beyond what I was enjoying at Asian restaurants. My veggie consumption went up! Finally, trying to control weight gain while having that "most important meal of the day" (breakfast), I began eating more fruit, 3 serving/morning. There's nothing radical about any of this. Nothing radical about my diet unless it's having no problem getting 5 plus servings of fruits and vegetables each day while limiting red meat. Middle of the Road and Moderation, I suppose.

Steve

I think there is something to limiting meat and getting in the fruits and vegetables. My brother has found he has stomach problems with beef and butter unless it is grass fed beef and organic grass fed butter. He can eat just regular chicken or pork from the store. It is kind of shocking to see him eat a meal with grass fed butter and be fine and at first I would forget and put regular butter in a dish and forget to tell him, and within 1 hour of eating he would go home with stomach cramps and diarrhea. This is the test DD had. Doctors told me these tests can be positive and next time negative. I think it is depending on stress, sunlight, amount of sleep and what you are eating. It will be interesting what happens the next time tested IF she changes her ways.

Antinuclear antibody (ANA) – Commonly found in the blood of people who have lupus, ANAs (abnormal antibodies directed against the cells' nuclei) can also suggest the presence of polymyositis, scleroderma, Sjogren's syndrome, mixed connective tissue disease or rheumatoid arthritis.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Mary, that is wonderful! I just looked at a Crossfit video to see what it is all about and my gosh! #127 in the WORLD! Thank you for telling me this. I was wondering how old you were when you said how much weight you used for the squats. So many strong women. I watched them even climb ropes. I saw several named Mary and my name is Mary too. Strong women of the 1950s. I am slacking!
Well you will not be slacking for long. You are taking step on the right path. I don't see myself at #127. I see that there are 126 women ahead of me. But that's ok. I started exercising when I was 50 because of back spasms that doctors just wanted to medicate me with. I don't like take meds unless I really need them. My spasms stopped. I do have some shoulder issues and occasionally I have a little bit of pain in my hip. So I'm not without issues. You just do the level that you can. Start out slowly and after a month increase it by a little. I'm glad if I inspired you. I don't mean to brag.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you will not be slacking for long. You are taking step on the right path. I don't see myself at #127. I see that there are 126 women ahead of me. But that's ok. I started exercising when I was 50 because of back spasms that doctors just wanted to medicate me with. I don't like take meds unless I really need them. My spasms stopped. I do have some shoulder issues and occasionally I have a little bit of pain in my hip. So I'm not without issues. You just do the level that you can. Start out slowly and after a month increase it by a little. I'm glad if I inspired you. I don't mean to brag.

Mary

I was always active and strong. I started to lift weights in late 20s for a few years and stopped and then later lifted light weights in my 40s and 50s. I did notice that I could lift weights with ease. I never could have climbed a rope even when young. I was not a fast runner. For some reason I could throw a softball. Started in 6th grade. Gym teacher went nuts and wanted me to go to state and I refused to go. Then later in high school they told me that I could throw a softball, I don't remember how far, but they were always amazed. I used to play softball and play out field and throw across home plate with ease. I can't throw anything now. I want to lose weight and I want to be able to feel good and I have some competition in me with people my own age. LOL I was thinking I was doing really well with this lady at church, looks and getting around and then found out she was 70! LOL Another woman is just amazing at 80. You are not bragging and people need to know they can be healthy and improve no matter what age.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You cracked me up with those women at church, haha. Sometimes we are forced to be humble lol.

I never did any sports when I was young. Never ran or workout until I was 50. I only started because my back muscle spasms and my refusal to take meds that doctors were quick to give me.

I can climb the rope. It is hard and takes technique and shoulder strength. It's also hard coming down.

Genetics plays a big part on how you look. There is a woman at another gym who i think is 80. I've since pictures of her in a sports bra and she looks unbelievable. It's more important to be healthy and to still be able to do things than how we look.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree about being healthy and not just looks. I did 10 squats with 20 pounds today and did some arm exercises with light weights. I did the first mile of this tape. I own this tape and never went past 2 miles. This does not show the whole tape, but I went a mile. You jog a little at the end of each mile.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's great Gardening with Rabbits! I'm so excited that you have started doing something. I know you will soon go past those 2 miles. I'm so proud of you and that you are motivated to do something about your health. Keep it up!

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I can do much the same exercises at home, but I started going to the gym (YMCA) more for socialization than for much needed exercise. Having people expecting me at class and supporting my progress makes it easier than staying home and getting the walking, biking, and weight work in on my own. Then there is the pool and the sauna that make the work worth it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How does one know when a mile is completed if she or he is walking in place? I know that a fitbit would measure that but she doesn't seem to be wearing something like that, GWR.

I gave up on measuring my exercise as a mile walk, even tho the distance in the interior of my house could so conveniently be measured as 5,280 feet :). One thing, I could complete a mile in less than 30 minutes and I just decided to use that time as a guide rather than any distance.

Running a mile was possible when I was younger. I almost cannot begin to run now and I'm sure it isn't safe.

I realize that muscle tone is important but I'm happy to not work hard at exercise. I find it very easy to raise the heart rate up above 100 from about half that, at rest. I can do that by simply walking but I have to kick the speed up. I've counted steps indoors and, the measurement shows that I only have a stride of 24". Probably, it's just a little longer and a little quicker when I'm outdoors. My heart rate isn't considered sufficient for healthy young people but I'm hitting right in the middle for someone my age, according to the American Heart Association. Twenty years ago, I'd have to be close to 120 beats/minute to make that claim. Still, 30 minutes at that rate isn't a big deal - maybe I would have to jog but not very fast. So this is my moderate intensity, aerobic exercise. I'm missing the muscle-strengthening activity on 2 days a week, recommended.

Summertime, no problem - I'm running a shovel or spading fork, carrying buckets, etc. The CDC suggests push-ups and sit-ups and I can do both of those. Real squats? No, I don't think so.

How many of these things? The CDC says 8 to 12 "to the point where it's hard for you to do another." That's "1 set." "Try to do at least 1 set. Kick it up to 2 or 3 sets over time. Harvard Medical (link) says skip the sit-ups and push-ups and do "planks." Squats and lunges look not-possible because I have neither the leg strength nor balance. The problem for me with planks is that there is no movement after taking that position - nothing to count! I wonder how long I should be able to do a plank ... maybe, the answer is: "to the point where it's hard for you to do another" second ;)!? Shoot. Does 30 seconds count? Maybe I can do a repeat with 20 seconds, 10 seconds ... done!

:D Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it was about 20 minutes. You jog 2 minutes at the end, but I do not feel like I walked a real mile. I cannot do pushups, which is something I want to work on. I can do situps. Lunges I can do but hate. Squats are very easy for me. I can do the plank but not sure how long. My arms need strength.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I can do much the same exercises at home, but I started going to the gym (YMCA) more for socialization than for much needed exercise. Having people expecting me at class and supporting my progress makes it easier than staying home and getting the walking, biking, and weight work in on my own. Then there is the pool and the sauna that make the work worth it.

I like the equipment.

Latest posts