Say Cheese!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
To all that respond, thank you. It tells me how poor of a job we in AG have done on informing the general public of our efforts and the why behind it. I really do thank you.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Richard, you say government doesn't want people to grow their own? Who coined the term Victory Garden? Who encouraged it?

Who paid for most of research (until last 10 years) done in vegetables?

Last edited:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Victory Garden was during the WWII seedcorn,
Our government was a bit different then. I, thank God, was alive in in the then. I think I'm a bit older than you.

Now listen, don't get excited.

As for research We paid for it! We the People.

You wrote: We at AG,

What do you do at AG?

Nether you nor I have to be the/an enemy here.

Richard

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not excited except for chance to converse on how people perceive AG.

I don't perceive anyone as an enemy-not even with those I am completely disagree with.

We do pay for it by paying taxes but the $$ was funneled through federal government. Not very efficient I know.

While "Victory Garden" started during WW2, it is supported & funded by state and federal governments to this very day. Extension agents are of limited value to AG with 95% of their time/efforts towards the family gardens. Master Garden program is a federal/state supported program.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi seedcorn.. Will you say what you do at AG?

The Victory Garden during WWII was encouraged but not funded as far as we knew, the gardens were to take the pressure off fuel for transporting food throughout America. Food was also gathered where it could be spared, we gave what we could give. We all saved rendered fat and while most things were rationed we had eggs, milk, butter and cheese, so we could also give butter and cheese. What was gathered was sent to the boys overseas, I always wondered what they did with the lard. Uncle was in Africa, brother was at Pearl Harbor, cousins were in Europe and the islands.

You mentioned the Victory Gardens are STILL funded: What does that mean? Where does the money go?

Richard

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I tried the mozzarella simply sliced and melted on the veggies - what a mess o_O!

So, I went with my usual combination of 1:1 with sour cream ... Good Heavens! It actually seemed more stringy than at 100% mozzarella :(!

So ... throwing caution (and cheese) to the wind ... I tried the sour cream, mozzarella and cheddar! I used a 2:2:1 ratio. There was twice the mozzarella to the cheddar - not stringy! Next, I will try adding a little prepared mustard, I'm thinking the one with honey.

All melting was in the microwave. If you try this, watch very closely, it only takes a few moments to melt cheese! But, maybe we all know that.

Steve :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Paid by seed company-thus moniker. Job is consulting with farmers-grain and livestock.

Victory gardens are now part of extension which is part of Ag department. Here they put on classes how to grow, help with management from planning to preserving. Some counties plant huge gardens that the produce goes to charities and those who can't afford.

If u were in WW2, u r indeed much older than me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, would it help to add milk to the cheese?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I tried the mozzarella simply sliced and melted on the veggies - what a mess o_O!

So, I went with my usual combination of 1:1 with sour cream ... Good Heavens! It actually seemed more stringy than at 100% mozzarella :(!

So ... throwing caution (and cheese) to the wind ... I tried the sour cream, mozzarella and cheddar! I used a 2:2:1 ratio. There was twice the mozzarella to the cheddar - not stringy! Next, I will try adding a little prepared mustard, I'm thinking the one with honey.

All melting was in the microwave. If you try this, watch very closely, it only takes a few moments to melt cheese! But, maybe we all know that.

Steve :)
Oh, we're talking about cheese? :)

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I'm sorry, went back to see who hi jacked your thread on cheese. Think it was ME! Got confused on couple of threads.

I will reprimand myself tomorrow--today is almost done. No cheesecake for me tomorrow.

Latest posts