Scammers

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We live in societies built around capital. $ £ $ £

If there is a better choice, I don't know what it is. I'm not saying that capitalism is the best we can do but I plead ignorance on even a glimmering of a better choice.

One problem is that some folks view government and law enforcement as defeated before it begins.

Another problem is that people are careless with information and with $ £ $ £. Give a scammer an inch and they will take a mile ... or, something like that. Let's look at the (personal) money side of it. I have a credit card from a major company. Our agreement is that I don't pay for anything but my purchases. A couple of years ago, someone used my credit information on that card to buy kitchen cabinets, etc. They had Walmart deliver them to Charleston, South Carolina :confused:. I don't know anyone in Charleston and have never even visited the city. My guess is that they might even have been put on a boat and shipped out of the country.

The credit card company was frantically trying to contact me for over an hour - using email, home phone, and finally texting me on the cell phone. That worked - I told them NO, I didn't order anything from Walmart and certainly not kitchen furnishings and asking to have them shipped to South Carolina. Neither did I have any idea how they had my number and name.

Somebody is likely to have paid for all of this. Even if the shipment was stopped, it tied up some credit card employees and would have cost Walmart. Their time is $ £ $ £. I paid nothing (but, didn't have that card to use until a new one arrived).

Passing these costs along only works so well for the corporations.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i do as little as possible on-line. having repeatedly seen how many companies are being hacked for information i don't know what people are thinking out there. to me and being a computer science trained person to boot i just see too much mayhem and BS that i won't do things that others are doing. they may think i'm old-fashioned or paranoid but i think there's been plenty of examples saying i'm doing ok. the stuff that really bugs me even more are the recent fad "cryptocurrencies" and seeing the number of scams going on with those (not counting the energy it takes to generate them) i just see nothing good about them.
The first time my details were taken was a short stay at the place i mentioned. Some collected all of my data that various places like to post all the time. Even though I had notified relavant departments of my change of address. So it's not always the internet.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i do as little as possible on-line. having repeatedly seen how many companies are being hacked for information i don't know what people are thinking out there. to me and being a computer science trained person to boot i just see too much mayhem and BS that i won't do things that others are doing. they may think i'm old-fashioned or paranoid but i think there's been plenty of examples saying i'm doing ok. the stuff that really bugs me even more are the recent fad "cryptocurrencies" and seeing the number of scams going on with those (not counting the energy it takes to generate them) i just see nothing good about them.
Having been notified three times that my personal information was compromised (twice by the Federal Government :mad:) , and having had my credit card stolen & maxed out once, I take great pains to limit my online presence. Garden forums are the sole extent of my social media presence. For monetary transactions, I prefer to use a phone, rather than a website. I've taken my share of criticism, and likewise been accused of paranoia... but hackers are becoming increasingly more creative, and large breaches more commonplace. Anyone who has ever had their identity stolen knows how hard it is to undo the damage.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having been notified three times that my personal information was compromised (twice by the Federal Government :mad:) , and having had my credit card stolen & maxed out once, I take great pains to limit my online presence. Garden forums are the sole extent of my social media presence. For monetary transactions, I prefer to use a phone, rather than a website. I've taken my share of criticism, and likewise been accused of paranoia... but hackers are becoming increasingly more creative, and large breaches more commonplace. Anyone who has ever had their identity stolen knows how hard it is to undo the damage.

telemarketers and e-mail phishers/scammers are bad enough. there was a scammer not too long ago trying to pull something with bluejay and gladly it was caught but that same approach was tried on a family member and as we heard all about it. i got that e-mail message too, but i noticed the scam right away and did not reply. i was tempted to send the scammer a note saying we'd reported them to the FBI but i just ignored it in the end. heard all about it from the relatives when we saw them a few weeks later.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm wss constantly being accused of paranoia but not so much anymore. A family member was dreadful too me about what he called paranoia, then they had issues theirselves. Now it's more agreement

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The toilet bowl cleaner that is advertised on this site as well as many others is ALL HYPE and NO ACTION... I purchased this wonder powder and followed the directions ... NO visible results. :th So I doubled the amount of this powder , the white powder again turned blue and foamed vigorously in toilet bowl after a few hours, I flushed the toilet ... again NO visible removal of the brown ring. :he So, the next day, I quadrupled the amount of powder as shown in the directions, the powder again turned blue and foamed up almost filling the entire toilet bowl ...... a few hours later, I flushed the toilet and what do I see ....... NO VISIBLE cleaning of the brown ring or anything that was promised to do. TOTAL SCAM ..... :somad :old

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No way! I only get JC Penny ads and solar panel ads. Foamy toilet bowl cleaner that doesn’t clean sounds like way more fun!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have Home Chef and Ace Hardware, at the moment.

Oops! Now a Michelin tire ad. Next, Mazda & Chili D's.

I think that the TEG ad company is using our information individually.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The toilet bowl cleaner that is advertised on this site as well as many others is ALL HYPE and NO ACTION... I purchased this wonder powder and followed the directions ... NO visible results. :th So I doubled the amount of this powder , the white powder again turned blue and foamed vigorously in toilet bowl after a few hours, I flushed the toilet ... again NO visible removal of the brown ring. :he So, the next day, I quadrupled the amount of powder as shown in the directions, the powder again turned blue and foamed up almost filling the entire toilet bowl ...... a few hours later, I flushed the toilet and what do I see ....... NO VISIBLE cleaning of the brown ring or anything that was promised to do. TOTAL SCAM ..... :somad :old
Get a good rubber glove cloth and rub in some baking soda then drop in some white vinegar, with a nice smelling essential oil, job done.

Latest posts