Seed starting indoors

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plant mine in 6 X 8 flats. I do not thin but I give them haircuts to keep the greens from long down. Seems to toughen them up.I just pull them apart and plant them in rose. no need for thinning. I save seed year to year. But, I read that onion seed should be fresh. I planted my leftovers with fair to poor results and then replanted with fresh seed.

I've tried that method before. I always found it to be a pita to try and separate the roots. A bucket of water helps a lot for untangling the roots.

I also give mine a haircut it helps keep them even and stimulate new leaves. Mine are just starting to shoot up their first real leaf after the flag leaf.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've tried that method before. I always found it to be a pita to try and separate the roots. A bucket of water helps a lot for untangling the roots.

I also give mine a haircut it helps keep them even and stimulate new leaves. Mine are just starting to shoot up their first real leaf after the flag leaf.
I jusy yank them apart and they don't seem to care.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I managed to sow my Califlower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli & cabbage today.

Just an FYI... I was really surprised when I opened the package of Baker Creek Amazing Califlower, I'm like we're are all the seeds? Then I went out to their website and there it is (50 seeds) in black and white. I obviously didn't read carefully enough when I placed my order. The Brussels sprouts, broccoli & cabbage had stamped on the package minimum 300 seeds.

Screenshot_2019-01-19-19-40-50.png

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I managed to sow my Califlower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli & cabbage today.

Just an FYI... I was really surprised when I opened the package of Baker Creek Amazing Califlower, I'm like we're are all the seeds? Then I went out to their website and there it is (50 seeds) in black and white. I obviously didn't read carefully enough when I placed my order. The Brussels sprouts, broccoli & cabbage had stamped on the package minimum 300 seeds.

View attachment 30229
I will start mine soon. What is your zone?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I jusy yank them apart and they don't seem to care.
I used to buy plants. They were quite pricey. The company grew them where they arrived all struck together. One year they were coated with some green slime chemicals. I realized I was deluding myself with the idea of my garden being organic. So now for a few dollar I grow my own plants. I grow onions as big as the grocery store. I never did that with store bought plants or sets.

Latest posts