Sentry, Baymule’s Livestock Guard Dog

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got weepy reading the supportive loving posts on that other forum.

My cattle dog, Titan, had to have TPLO surgery four years ago. I had to take money out of savings to pay the $3000. He turned 14 this week and is the love of my life. He's no longer allowed to jump up or down and learned very quickly that Mama will always be there for him for those types of movements.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got weepy reading the supportive loving posts on that other forum.

My cattle dog, Titan, had to have TPLO surgery four years ago. I had to take money out of savings to pay the $3000. He turned 14 this week and is the love of my life. He's no longer allowed to jump up or down and learned very quickly that Mama will always be there for him for those types of movements.

I thought people would think I had lost my mind, he is a working dog and may very likely not work again. Time will tell. The outpouring of love and support blew me away. I posted it as educational for all of us, that others might learn from my experience. We agreed to Sentry's surgery, knowing nothing about it. If it helps some one else make a better, educated decision for their dog, then that is why I am sharing our experience.

I totally get it about Titan. That is your friend, your heart and loyal companion. He knows that you will take care of him.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry is doing well. I keep him on a leash even in the house. He is using that leg most of the time. We go Monday to get the staples out.

3D6E0052-3D08-416A-84C9-B977C7B1789A.jpeg

The bone sticks out. I guess this is what we have now. I’ll ask the vet if that’s as good as it gets.

E3AFED78-1FA8-400D-82CE-B13F648A746E.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sentry got his staples out Monday. The vet said he is recovering very well, better than expected. The vet said Sentry could go back to the barn. I fixed him a small pen, about 6’x6’. He still has to stay confined and is not supposed to run or play. I take him on long walks on a leash, every 2-3 hours so he can get his exercise. He is using his leg with only a few hop-limps.

Sentry got fan mail from an adoring fan. She even sent him dog treats!

What’s in the bag? Is that for me?

C3219B01-EB3C-464B-9F6B-1DAF66D84176.jpeg

It sure smells good!!

4BFF5602-ED63-4790-ADDB-CAD360660B7A.jpeg

Yummy! It tastes good too!!

4A33D039-8ED1-4261-9EE1-4ACEAEA3C237.jpeg

Sentry said THANKS!! Sentry loves @Carol Dee!!

We went to see The Call of The Wild. The dog, Buck, was animated. The animators gave Buck all kinds of humanized expressions. Both BJ and I were thinking of Sentry and his funny expressions. Uncanny.

So this evening I took him with me to feed, he ate his supper, we took a couple of walks and I brought him to the house for awhile. Carson came in too. Both dogs sprawled out in the floor and conked out. It started to get dark, so I put on my coat, to take him back to the barn. He watched me closely. I called him, I got an eye roll but no other movement. I asked him to go outside. He raised his head, walled his eyes at me and put his head back down. BJ was laughing. I asked Carson to go outside and he jumped up and went out the door. Not Sentry. Nope. Uh-uh. Not going. Sentry’s face told the story. By this time, BJ was laughing so hard, he was in tears. I was laughing too at his refusal to leave his comfortable floor. Barn? Hay? Sheep? Not happening!! I called Carson back in and both dogs are fast asleep. Score: Sentry 1 Me 0.

Latest posts