1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Show off your Pot...

Discussion in 'Flowers & Roses' started by Lavender2, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Jul 25, 2014
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

What a nice combination Mary, I love that coleus!

2. Jul 25, 2014
    Lavender2

Lavender2 Garden Addicted

Thanks, Mary.
    LOVE that coleus, and the combination, and the pot! You always have such cool garden decor!

Yep, I will have to do some coleus next year, just checked one of my favorite seed companies and they have 53 varieties! Oh, the decisions. :confused:

3. Jul 25, 2014
    Lavender2

Thank you!
    I got into starting most things from seed many years ago. Now, so many people count on me for their annuals it's hard to stop. I love the challenge of seed starting though, so it's probably more of an addiction, and season extender. And I can grow different things that you can't find at nurseries.

Yes, that's eyeball plant. I love it, easy to grow, and easy to start from seed... and you can save the seed making it really cheap. That one is just getting going, the eyeballs pop all summer. For a pot though, they get a bit large, so I think they are best solo or as the main plant. This one is in the garden, another year...

CIMG5508.JPG

4. Jul 25, 2014
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Lavendar2, how do you start your seeds? Do you have grow lights, etc?

Mary

5. Jul 25, 2014
    Lavender2

Yeah, Mary, I have quite a crazy operation. I have 3 to 4 of these racks in my kitchen around the end of March. Each rack holds 12 flats. When night temps stay warm enough they are moved to my three season porch and from there I can roll them out to the deck for hardening off.

Picture 10368.jpg

Picture 10726.jpg

Usually the only thing I have a special way of starting is Impatiens. I start them on paper towels in covered containers and then plant the itty bitty seedlings... 12 flats of them ... and I'm really happy when that part is done!

Picture 9493.jpg Picture 10134.jpg

6. Jul 25, 2014
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Wow Lavendar2, those look just like a professional growers! Not that you're not. ;) Do you use heat pads? What type of soil do you use? Do you fertilize?

I've never seen any seedlings looking so perfect!

Mary

7. Jul 25, 2014
    Lavender2

Thank you, Mary.
    Not quite professional, just a lot of experience (and trial and error!) For heat, I use hot spots in my house, top of the china cabinet, DH's bathroom :D, sometimes a small space heater placed near the racks. Some of the later seeds get warmed in flats set right on top of the fluorescent lights.

I use a professional grow mix I get at a local nursery. It's actually cheaper than the brand-name stuff at the stores. I only fertilize seedlings that must be potted for longer than 6-8 weeks, like perennials I start from seed... Sometimes peppers if I start them very early and they look like they need it.
    It really just takes a good soil, lighting, and being a bit careful not to overwater.:)

8. Jul 25, 2014
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

@Lavender2 , your flowers are fabulous! I love all the bold colors, especially the red, white and blue one with the snapdragons in it. Nice grow-light set up too! :thumbsup

Lavender2 likes this.
  9. Jul 27, 2014
    Jared77

Jared77 Garden Addicted

Wow that's too cool. I'm taking notes and now I'm finally in a place where I have some storage Im going to be pushing our container efforts.

Beautiful efforts by everybody! This is my favorite thread to check because of all the great pictures.

10. Jul 27, 2014
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master