Show off your pumpkins

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Candy sweet!

It is only offered to Native Seed Search members or I would have bought more seed for 2015. They have "Taos" this year and I think it's a replacement. La Madera is close to Taos, geographically. Bumblebees probably don't fly that far, however ...

@Hal and I are content with it making some crosses, altho, I don't believe he was thinking about La Madera crossing with Autumn Crown ;).

Buttercup has been an absolute standard in my garden for decades. It doesn't produce fully mature fruits in a normal year or I'm not curing them properly or I really don't have the best place for storage. Still, they have been my best choice.

Since this is the pumpkin thread -- I'm convinced that there is a world of pumpkin culinary opportunities! Of course, there are dessert breads and soup but I substituted pumpkin for zucchini in another soup recipe - good!

Steve
who finds pumpkin easier to grow and, so far, as long keeping
It sounds yummy!

I like to make soup with pumpkin puree.. Some people think it is an acquired taste. I happen to love it!! Especially this time of year..

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am also growing out a C. maxima x C. moschata cross.. Tetsukabuto. This winter squash is known as the Japanese pumpkin.. The description of the fruit is what sold me on it. It has a deep yellow flesh with sweet and nutty, smooth and creamy, flesh, like custard. I have not tasted it yet, but plan on cutting into, and cooking up one this weekend.View attachment 9432
That sounds great.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 9424 Here's the garden kids with their harvest. I think the pumpkins were their favorite thing to grow. Unfortunately powdery mildew took the vines out before they all were finished, but the kids were even excited about the green ones, and took them all home.
@thistlebloom that photo is so sad the bare foot boy at end is only one with no pumpkin.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a picture of Black Futsu winter squash. The fruits start out a deep blue/green, then a soft gray, black, and turn into a chestnut color as they ripen for storage. The fruits are warty and heavily ribbed. Very pretty. This is my first year growing out this Moschata variety. View attachment 9431
Thes will be tastier and sweeter when they are lighter in color. Save the green ones in the garden and let them get touched by frost.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thes will be tastier and sweeter when they are lighter in color. Save the green ones in the garden and let them get touched by frost.
Thank you for the tip. :)

The squash have been touched by a light frost twice already. The vines have died back quite a bit, that is why I picked them all already. We are expecting more frost this week. it is supposed to get down in the low thirties Wednesday.. :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy ,and @ninnymary :
The poor barefoot kid with no pumpkins is the guy that didn't want to plant one, even though I tried to persuade him. He's standing next to his big brother, Mr Two Pumpkin. There were a lot more pumpkins than kids and No Pumpkin Boy was told to get one for the pic.... what can I say?
Nothing to be sad about, it was an equal opportunity pumpkin garden. :)

He was wishing he had planted one after all, so if nothing else maybe he learned something.

@majorcatfish , that tall kid in back was a real piece of work let me tell you.
A practical joker and drill sergeant type rolled into one!

Latest posts