Show off your pumpkins

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What in the world did he have against pumpkins that he refused to plant one? Glad to hear you have a equal opportunity pumpkin garden, I should have none better LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
am also growing out a C. maxima x C. moschata cross.. Tetsukabuto. This winter squash is known as the Japanese pumpkin..
That sounds great.

I would have missed this. It's what we get with TEG using so many page breaks in a thread ...

I didn't know that there was a C. maxima x C. moschata Japanese pumpkin. Interesting that C. pepo isn't involved but it's called a pumpkin. Is it a stabilized cross?

Sometimes, I see Kabocha described as a pumpkin. Those are very similar to Buttercups but I've yet to find one that does any better than Burgess Buttercup in my garden.

Steve

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would have missed this. It's what we get with TEG using so many page breaks in a thread ...

I didn't know that there was a C. maxima x C. moschata Japanese pumpkin. Interesting that C. pepo isn't involved but it's called a pumpkin. Is it a stabilized cross?

Sometimes, I see Kabocha described as a pumpkin. Those are very similar to Buttercups but I've yet to find one that does any better than Burgess Buttercup in my garden.

Steve
Steve, all I know with this Japanese hybrid variety, is that it is commonly called a Japanese Pumpkin.

The vine requires a pollinator, like a buttercup or hubbard variety.

I have read that you can use the vine grower as rootstock for grafting watermelons, melon and cucumber to prevent disease. Interesting..

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gave a lot away
DSCF0283.JPG

Latest posts