Simple Joys

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This....the house smells like fresh, home made bread and chocolate cake... :drool

LL

My mother made the bread today and the rhythmic kneading sound of her working the bread is just hypnotic...love that sound! The only thing better would be if my hands were working the dough instead of hers, as I love that soothing rhythm and tactile sensation of when the bread turns just right under your hands.

Those old hands of hers have formed many, many loaves in her 81 yrs and I used to watch her with much joy when I was little, just watching that dough being turned and kneaded over and over. Some things never change in this world and one is the sight of a woman with flour up her arms, pressing her hands into a ball of dough. It's just so very basic...since the beginning of time women have been doing this very same thing and the thought of being connected to all those women down through the centuries is just heart warming. :love

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I first started teaching, the school served 'from scratch' meals that were out of this world. Twice a week they made the breads and rolls for lunches. It was so hard to work with that aroma announcing fresh baked good for the lunch period that took so long to get there.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet!!! Those were the good ol' days, I tell ya. I used to help the cooks when I was in grade school and many of the things they made were made from scratch and it tasted like real food, not this processed crap they serve nowadays.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look delicious Bee! Thye look like the ones I had in elementary school. They always made big, fluffy rolls from scratch when they were serving spaghetti. I also still remember the cookies and carton of milk we had for afternoon snack.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW made the dough for refrigerator rolls in the evening ... while I dozed in the lazyboy ... She rolled out half for cinnamon buns this morning. We each had a roll and a bun for lunch :).

Once when friends from city came up to country house, they wanted to star glaze. After 5 minutes of looking at the sky I was bored out of my mind :hide
I agree, NyBoy! You need the right company.

When I was in early elementary school, my cousin stopped by our farm on the way back to college in Oregon. He had been at home in California for the summer.

He and I went out in a field and he showed me Orion, among other things! Cousin Jim won a Rhodes Scholarship and went on to a PhD in physics. He's retired from Lehigh for many years.

I have been out with a friend who does horoscopes. I don't give much credence to that but "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

;) Steve

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would make me happy too! I brought home a truckload of pallets from the recycle center last fall, but for some reason, DH wasn't as excited about them as I was. LOL. Manure...that gets me excited too. And free buckets, milk crates, etc. :D

Latest posts