SNOW IN TEXAS!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
01300DED-33A5-4648-A927-6480E9B6C34D.jpeg 0851DBA3-6A65-404D-888C-D6ACCD2435DD.jpeg DAC5A31D-1E03-4D48-8709-80F20172DE75.jpeg No snow here. :p

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you motivate yourself you JUST MIGHT be able to start your Spring garden chores on time!! Look for the small jobs that you can do Now.
We had a thaw and I pulled out a hose to reach the portable (small) plastic horse trough and then found out why I wasn't using it. It had a leak. I took the time this weekend to cut it into smaller pieces (I used metal cutters) and got it bagged up and thrown away. We have Wednesday morning trash pickup. One LESS job to do in March!

:ep Can't believe you didn't use that to plant something in!!!!

:epSOOO Sorry! Ice storms usually happen where I live. Hate them !!!!!! :somad We had one in the 1990's and power was out for 2 weeks in the country.

We had that one here..it was in '92 or '93...and it was more than ice. It was heavy rains, followed by heavy snows, which brought down many trees over roads and power lines in this state. They declared a state of emergency and closed the roads...didn't matter because everyone was snowed in anyway. We didn't have power nor access to the main road for over 2 wks and the only way we even got the road cleared to the main that early was because the man who lived beyond us was a paraplegic.

Power outages are so common here in the sticks that we didn't miss a beat. We had wood heat, propane range on which to cook, water stored up enough, the outhouse to use, kerosene lamps to use for light and many books and games to occupy ourselves with. No TV anyway, so that was nothing new.

During the '07-'08, '08 -'09 winters, I opened the front door one morning to a wall of snow to my waist. Now I know a lot of that was drift, but we had a couple feet out in the driveway that wasn't drift. Those were a crazy couple winters. It was a full time job keeping the chore paths clear as well as the house walkway and drive.
What I overheard a couple of grizzled old timers say was more like the way winters used to always be.

And they'd be right. Even back in the 70s and 80s deep snows each winter were common here. One big blizzard in the 70s covered our entire house. Two to three foots snows with each storm were quite common and they didn't close the schools down back then either. Very rarely did they close the schools for snow back then and the blizzard that covered our house didn't warrant a school closing either.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fog, fog and more fog! No snow, but it’s a whiteout anyway. Been raining and going to rain for the next week. Got 1/2” last night. Steve you should be here for some of our downpours where we get 5 or 6 inches in a couple of hours!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We woke up this morning at 5 am with about 1 inch of very wet snow on the ground and everything else. Sidewalks and roads are s l i p p e r y !!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom @bobm will be thinking about you while we are having our 1 day heatwave of 74* after that it's back to our every other day mud making rain... oh and the frogs are croaking away..humm has be close to spring...

i love it when the froggies start coming out. :) the spring peepers here are very loud and now that some come visit around the house they are even closer and louder. :)

been warm here again, snow melting and rain today...