SNOW IN TEXAS!!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:epSOOO Sorry! Ice storms usually happen where I live. Hate them !!!!!! :somad We had one in the 1990's and power was out for 2 weeks in the country.
Probably about the same time we had an ice storm take out all the power lines (Snapped off the poles) between here and Eldridge. 3 miles worth. We had power back on our end in about 2 days. The home smack dab in the middle went 10 days with out power. And it was cold.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we had a sneaky storm roll though last night dropped about a 1/2" of snow it melted and turned into a sheet of ice, what a interesting ride into work, accidents everywhere.. took over 2 hours to get there.....

oh yes ready for spring.......

that would be a good candidate for a day of staying in...

glad you made it home safe and sound.
er, well, at least safe... ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should be getting some snow shoveling exercise tomorrow morning. The weather people are predicting 3 to 5 inches of snow tonight. That much again may fall tomorrow morning.

I haven't seen 10" of snow from a single storm in years. It's interesting how we may cool off early, warm up late, once in awhile have severe cold - but we seldom have snow like the upper Midwest or some places in the Northeast.

Hoping that this replenishes snow, at least at higher elevations. It's essentially gone down here but still looked good at nearer mountain monitors. I should explore Canadian information but I imagine that they look okay. Some of the US rivers flow north and that water comes back south in the Columbia. Water knows slopes and banks not lines drawn as boundaries.

Steve
edit: oh hey, @flowerbug , are you close to the bay? I can't hardly imagine living close to one of the Great Lakes during winter ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really? Then I must really be deep in the snow belt, because we have had much more than that from a single snow storm quite often.

It always amazes me how such short distances between local areas have such diverse micro climates.

ya! for sure! have had storms of several feet all at once. up north even more. when you get the right wind direction off a large lake it can really pile up quick.

@digitS' we're about 30 miles from the bay so not too much lake effect snow gets this far inland, but when it does it is often plenty. the microclimate here is affected by the surrounding terrain enough that storms will often fade or split when they go around us. north or south of us even a few miles makes a difference. also, being in a low spot means fogs and cold air can settle in on calm nights.

i don't know how many times when the forecast has called for rain and i've watched the radars thinking a storm was going to finally make it (during a dry spell) only to have it fade out before it gets here. last year Wisconsin was getting hammered for a few months with heavy storms. hardly any of that made it to us. such is life. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, I look at places that have 2+" of rain with some amazement. It's been many years since I have lived where 2, 3, 4 inches of rainwater would fall in a day or two. Translate that rainfall into snow, yes I know ~ throw in some wind and drifting(!), there could be several feet of snow on the level and great drifts are possible.

I was in Coeur d'Alene when there was a 10" snowstorm. There was already snow on the ground. It was like the entire town shut down for a couple of days!

We have had 10" snowstorms since and 2 or 3 feet of snow on the ground at once but it's gonna really depend on where you are around here as to how much trouble that will be. I lived only about 3 blocks from a main street in Cd'A but narrow streets, too many parked cars, snow plows that buried driveways, residents who would shovel snow back in the street ...

@thistlebloom , if you look at a terrain map of the ground from Bayview to Spirit Lake, it's kinda a maze. During the ice age floods, the area north must have been chaos with water draining in two directions! Our storms from the south funnel in and the snowclouds lift into what must be meteorological confusion, a maelstrom.

The area north of Standpoint, somewhere around Naples (who named that town ;)!?) is somewhat similar. I'm wondering if you dumped a bunch of ice age water around there if it would have run north, south aand west - all at once! If we measured things in the aquifer, it still does.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
During the '07-'08, '08 -'09 winters, I opened the front door one morning to a wall of snow to my waist. Now I know a lot of that was drift, but we had a couple feet out in the driveway that wasn't drift. Those were a crazy couple winters. It was a full time job keeping the chore paths clear as well as the house walkway and drive.
What I overheard a couple of grizzled old timers say was more like the way winters used to always be.

Latest posts