So what do all you green thumbed folks do....

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Watch TV

just kidding ;) Fix stuff, yell at my kids, cook, sleep ya know all the normal stuff.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
shovel snow, clear ice and snow out of drainage ditches, shovel snow, hay the horses, shovel snow, and complain.

Also make what are doubtless brilliantly clever and elegant plans for the next year's garden, none of which I can actually remember (or find the little scraps of paper on which they were written down) by the time spring actually arrives, with the result that I'm stuck with whatever I happen to do on the spur of the moment when I get a shovel into my hands :p

Pat

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Read, bake, scrapbook, make cards and in Feburary, I'm as busy as heck in my hobby greenhouse business. ;)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Shovel snow, unblock icy gutters, shovel more snow, haul firewood, shovel snow. We got a snowblower this year, and DH installed one of those gutter de-icer thingies this past spring, so I was hoping you all had some ideas.

So far, my plans are to hitch the oldest dog to a sled and make him pull me around the yard, and sew a quilt out of my ever-growing Rag Bag. I'm going to learn how to do stained glass at the end of this month, I guess I will practice that too over the winter.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Also make what are doubtless brilliantly clever and elegant plans for the next year's garden, none of which I can actually remember (or find the little scraps of paper on which they were written down) by the time spring actually arrives, with the result that I'm stuck with whatever I happen to do on the spur of the moment when I get a shovel into my hands :p Pat
That is so stinkin' funny! That is exactly what I do every single year. I always have glorious plans for next year's "best garden ever" but always end up with a discombobulated mess with things stuck in every which way. Oh well... The fantasy of someday having a beautiful, well-organized garden keeps me coming back each year. Until then, my messy, cramped-pathway garden sure feeds us well!

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bake bread and try to give away more than I eat. I also start to work on the inside of the house, moving furninture around and hanging pictures. I have been married for nearly 2 years and I still haven't hung all the pictures in my house!:p

I also manage to lose my plans for next year's years garden, but drawing them up is half the fun!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
patandchickens said:
Also make what are doubtless brilliantly clever and elegant plans for the next year's garden, none of which I can actually remember (or find the little scraps of paper on which they were written down) by the time spring actually arrives, with the result that I'm stuck with whatever I happen to do on the spur of the moment when I get a shovel into my hands :p Pat
That is so stinkin' funny! That is exactly what I do every single year. I always have glorious plans for next year's "best garden ever" but always end up with a discombobulated mess with things stuck in every which way. Oh well... The fantasy of someday having a beautiful, well-organized garden keeps me coming back each year. Until then, my messy, cramped-pathway garden sure feeds us well!
You know what, at least for perennials and woody plants and bulbs, the Do Random Things method actually works pretty well for me, albeit slowly. Every year, I do whatever comes first to mind when I get plant and trowel together. Some of it looks good and grows well. Some doesn't. What doesn't, gets moved elsewhere (equally randomly). Lather rinse repeat.

It actually DOES progress gradually to a reasonable looking landscape, not through planning so much as through editing.

I know it's not what All Those Fancy Gardening Books recommend, but what do they know, they probably do not have to squeeze garden work in between herding kids and fixing eavestroughs and digging postholes :p

Pat

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dig more space for a bigger garden! That's the plan this year anyways. My mom, sister, grandma and I bake a lot of cookies and other goodies around Christmas time. We love looking up new recipes online and tryin them out. other than that, there isnt much I do. I love reading, drawing, and spending time outdoors. Hmmm.... Its after 1 AM, Im at a loss, haha.

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Dig more space for a bigger garden! That's the plan this year anyways. My mom, sister, grandma and I bake a lot of cookies and other goodies around Christmas time. We love looking up new recipes online and tryin them out. other than that, there isnt much I do. I love reading, drawing, and spending time outdoors. Hmmm.... Its after 1 AM, Im at a loss, haha.
:D
It sounds like you will have lots and lots of recipes from the internet if you're up til 1 AM all the time! LOL!! Can you find me some good SOUR PICKLE recipes without sugar in them??
:D I never have time!
Tina/tfpets

Latest posts