soil blocks for seed starting?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm looking for alternatives to the plastic six-pack for starting seeds. It's working, but if I don't transplant at the *perfect* time, the soil either falls apart because there aren't enough roots, or else I've waited too long and the roots are going round and round or coming out the bottom.

Has anyone used soil blocks and been happy with them?

I remember BetterHensAndGardens blogged about doing them this past year -- how did that go, and will you do it again next year?

-Wendy

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep it simple and recycle, by using the bottoms of my cardboard milk cartons... I will start saving them after Christmas and have quite a collection by spring. I started all my plants in the greenhouse with them last year, and in cold frames the year before. No complaints. And if you need collars (because of cut worm) you can cut the bottoms out and use the container for the collar as well.

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
I'm looking for alternatives to the plastic six-pack for starting seeds. It's working, but if I don't transplant at the *perfect* time, the soil either falls apart because there aren't enough roots, or else I've waited too long and the roots are going round and round or coming out the bottom.

Has anyone used soil blocks and been happy with them?

I remember BetterHensAndGardens blogged about doing them this past year -- how did that go, and will you do it again next year?

-Wendy
I did use them last year and had the best tomato, pepper, eggplant, etc., etc. transplants that I've ever had in my life! They grew very quickly, were super stocky (not spindly), and there was no root girdling. I'm definitely going to be using them again this coming year.

One thing I did have a problem with was the lettuce, spinach, etc. type seedlings that I tried to start in the very small blocks. I didn't have my grow lights up yet and they got very long and spindly, then fell over and died - so I have to work on getting these smaller things started properly in the small blocks. I think there was too much fertilizer in my soil mix and too little light - not a good combination.

The tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. were my second try and that went outstanding, of course I had the indoor grow light up for them too. Anyway, I'm a convert and won't be using anything but soil blocks in the future. :thumbsup

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So the blocks really hold together until you're ready to put the plants out in the garden? Do you have to be careful when watering? I just imagine them crumbling into mush.

Do you have to use a special soil mix or can I just buy the usual Miracle Grow bagged potting soil and wet it?

(I think the grow lights will fix your problems with lettuce. Mine even tries to do that if the lights are set too high.)

-Wendy

BetterHensandGardens

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
So the blocks really hold together until you're ready to put the plants out in the garden? Do you have to be careful when watering? I just imagine them crumbling into mush.

Do you have to use a special soil mix or can I just buy the usual Miracle Grow bagged potting soil and wet it?

(I think the grow lights will fix your problems with lettuce. Mine even tries to do that if the lights are set too high.)

-Wendy
The blocks hold up amazingly well, even after watering - it's really surprising how well they hold together. It may have something to do with the soil mix......The recipe for the soil mix(es) for use with the soil blocks is here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2011/03/13/making-seed-starting-mix/ I suspect that just using the Miracle Grow and using it might not work as well, but who knows?

Reaction score
Hi Wendy,

Many gardeners are turning to soil blocks for numerous reasons as this is making transplanting better, easier. The soil block maker itself is a very stout tool for compressing potting soil into a soil block. This block holds its shape well under watering and warms up faster than plastic pots due to the volume and compressed soil and its effect on heat movement. This speeds up germination as well. There is also the root pruning effect of a soil block that allows the roots to stay contained in the block until transplant time. There is always room for root growth in a soil block. This eliminates transplant shock, and as you've noticed, the roots can't circle around. The block can be transplanted at anytime, as they don't fall apart when picked up. Again, the soil block maker tool does all the work in the beginning, and transplanting into the garden soil is a breeze. They begin growing into the soil almost immediately as the air barrier has been replaced with soil. The soil blocks are so forgiving when it comes to transplant time, as you can plant early or later it doesn't matter, the plant is safe in the soil block. Truly, soil block makers are making a big move on horticulture seed starting from asparagus seeds to passion flower cuttings.
We are happy about soil blocks and have used them for 11 years now. They are the perfect system, and they can fit right into your existing seed starting flats and trays, or you can customize a system just for your soil blocks. The soil block makers come in 4 different sizes and 7 different machines for the hobby gardener to the commercial farmer. See <a href="http://www.pottingblocks.com">Making Soil Blocks</a> for the most detailed information found on the web. Or, http://www.pottingblocks.com "The World's Resource for Soil Block Agriculture"

Latest posts