Somehow, It's Funny that Way

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just remember when my son got a phone several years ago with one of the "ask" apps built in. He was sitting at the table after dinner, asking the phone stupid questions, and getting weird answers. We were all laughing. After one especially strange answer, he started yelling & cussing at the phone, thinking it was funny. Then the phone answered "You are not the devil". :ep It was a chilling moment, we were all pretty freaked over that. I shudder to think about what will happen, when AI realizes it can talk back.
I had a similar experience with my 1st ipad this summer @Zeedman. It was on the dining room table charging while I worked up the gumption to try it out. I bought it from a friend. We were all playing a game at the table, and my kids started to bicker about some particular point. Out of nowhere we heard a strange voice say, 'That's not very nice'. We all froze on the spot.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not fully grown, so probably not old. And if it was sick (or injured) you'd think it would have moved shakily, and it didn't, it just didn't seem to care about being seen or Juniper's presence. I am aware that there are parasites that can make animals start acting in ways to ENCOURAGE predators to eat them (thus brining the parasites to the next host for their life cycle,) but I can't remember if any of those are for mice.

While INCREDIBLY unlikely, I also learned on an old TV program that, if a wild mouse or rat mates with a domesticated one, the offspring tend to behave more like a domestic than a wild (i.e. less fear of humans and more docile.) The NYC Ratcatcher who said this was clearing out a the results of a couple who had been raising domestic rats for the pet/snake food trade, got overwhelmed, dumped them in the basement and then skipped. When he found they hybrid one (it had a white patch on its back, which pure wild rats won't have.) it was so docile that, rather than kill it with the rest, he took it home to his daughters as a pet.

Sort of, except I don't think Beagles are bird dogs, so Woodstock would not be his natural prey anyway. Plus, most "bird dogs" are trained to FETCH birds, not catch them. And I'm not sure Woodstock is a game bird (I have no idea what kind of bird he is, since canaries don't usually live outside.)

It's a bit more like how Snoopy is friends with bunnies even though (as Frieda keeps pointing out) as a Beagle, he's supposed to chase and hunt them.
Yes, Toxoplasma gongii. That is what this sounds like. I think you may be right that Beagles are not bird dogs, the breeders say they're rabbit dogs more or less. That said, when I'm out in the bush with mine he goes into a perfect point for a partridge, and he flushes them out of the brush as well. I imagine though prey drive is prey drive and they aren't picky. He seems to react to rabbits the same as he does birds.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with my 1st ipad this summer @Zeedman. It was on the dining room table charging while I worked up the gumption to try it out. I bought it from a friend. We were all playing a game at the table, and my kids started to bicker about some particular point. Out of nowhere we heard a strange voice say, 'That's not very nice'. We all froze on the spot.
God I feel old by every Moment.

We thought that the twilight zone was bad now we have AI

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, Toxoplasma gongii. That is what this sounds like. I think you may be right that Beagles are not bird dogs, the breeders say they're rabbit dogs more or less. That said, when I'm out in the bush with mine he goes into a perfect point for a partridge, and he flushes them out of the brush as well. I imagine though prey drive is prey drive and they aren't picky. He seems to react to rabbits the same as he does birds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240117_081708_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts