Somehow, It's Funny that Way

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-04-20-02-33-28_kindlephoto-13181978.png

I had one of these! But, not as a kid ... had to put up with the old Underwood back in those days.

Threw away the Smith Corona not all that long ago (before the pandemic hit ;)). Hadn't used it in decades. Didn't know where to find a new ribbon. A friend said "Oh, you can get those ribbons at that office supply on the hill." I didn't have the heart to tell him that the shop has been out of business for several years.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 40295
I had one of these! But, not as a kid ... had to put up with the old Underwood back in those days.

Threw away the Smith Corona not all that long ago (before the pandemic hit ;)). Hadn't used it in decades. Didn't know where to find a new ribbon. A friend said "Oh, you can get those ribbons at that office supply on the hill." I didn't have the heart to tell him that the shop has been out of business for several years.

Steve
That reminds me of the time when "spell check" was a heavy 2" book, with only a manual search function.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That reminds me of the time when "spell check" was a heavy 2" book, with only a manual search function.

we had some type of manual typewriter for years, but i can't recall the name or model number for it other than it was black and worked. i did play with it and use it for school at times, but i was not very good at it.

dictionaries we have a few of those here still, for moments when i don't want to use the computer or the computer is turned off and i am reading something else for a change. alas, there are some words used in things i read which aren't in the dictionary either so i end up having to go on-line to try to get them sorted out.

@digitS' i never expected to go through life typing as much as i do as i did flunk typing in jr. high, but that was a teacher student conflict and sheer boredom more than anything. i'd never expect that for a living i'd be sitting at many different keyboards through 15yrs of college and work and the years since then for 8-16hrs a day. thank goodness though that i no longer have to sit.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who else took tying class in high school on one of those machines? I did and its way I can type very very quickly.
I took a typing class in high school as it was after my last class and start of football practice, so I had an hour to kill. . I was the only boy in a class with 27 girls. At finals, I stood 2nd in this class in speed as well as accuracy.
:caf

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took typing my sophomore year in high school, fall semester. On a typewriter, long before keypads and computers. I wasn't the only boy in that class but there sure weren't many. I could have had an hour of study hall but my handwriting was so bad I decided to take a typing class. The way it worked out with computers and keyboards later it was a good move.

I came down with Mono and missed about three months calendar time of school. It was over the Christmas holidays so not that much school but I had a home teacher drop by a couple of times a week. By the time I started missing school because of mono I had already met my requirements for typing class in words per minute and less than a certain number of mistakes. I can't remember how many words or mistakes. I can't remember my grade either but I passed.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@digitS' , have you ever EATEN a Brioche bun?
That's a picture of cardboard bread, at best.
Honestly, we buy them at ALDI, the CHEAP grocery store. I won't eat a hamburger on any other bun now, bc they taste terrific and don't fall apart. I have to WEAR the bread I eat. Might as well be worth it.

Latest posts