Starting a Tree Farm

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well technically it's a Nursery Stock Grower, but let's not split hairs. Long time no post, but I have some fun news

My entire life I have focused my time and energy towards environmental work. I do a lot of leading groups with the National Park Service and other municipality groups but for a few years now I've wanted to take that to the next level and actually be a source of trees stock for those groups I've helped so much. So, this spring the Mrs and I are selling our house in the Minneapolis / Saint Paul area and moving our family out of the metro to some place with some acreage. I know it won't be an immediate turnaround but in the years to come I hope to be providing several hundred trees a year to my local groups and helping to support this ecosystem I love so much in a completely new way.

Technically speaking a tree farm is actually owning wooded acreage that you allow logging on, so the Dept of Agriculture refers to what I want to do as a Nursery Stock Grower.

This should be fun :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kinda treeees!

Can you take the black locust back to Appalachia and the tree of heaven back to ... well ... China?

Bring us back our white pines, Sprig'? I was just thinking how evergreens are so appreciated in the white landscapes covered with snow :D.

Steve

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Catalpas, bur oaks, Sycamore, Manchurian ash and other native species.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kentucky Coffee Tree as well. Yeah, the Northern Catalpa is native up here but there's also an effort to account for climate change and plant species that will be appropriate for the area in another 15 or 20 years. Also, this are is about to lose 50,000 ash trees due to the emerald ash borer, so there's a lot of variety we need to plant

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a couple or three Catalpas from a local couple who was also selling 100's of japanese maples. People say that they (Catalpas) are too messy, but they are way out front on the 2.6 acres, so I'll let them be messy. They are about 5 ft tall and just starting to show signs of life here. I've seen several of them around the area, and I think mine will do fine.

Latest posts